Drilling hole through floor for water main (1.2m deep) ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys,

Need to make a trench and opening for a new water main this coming weekend.

I have the route planned, underground cable identified and digger + driver provisionally booked and materials ordered.

Just trying to figure out how to get the main through the foundations and into the house?

I have a core drill for 100mm pipe/duct to take the main but its only 200mm long, This should get me through the floor slab and the founds. But to get from the floor to the depth of the pipe i need this hole to be 1.2m! (0.6m floor to ground, 0.8m ground to pipe)

Is there a specific tool that can be hired? My initial thought is to weld up a length of 1/2" bar as an extension but i can see this being an issue if i hit anything soild (rocks etc) once through the concrete.

Cheers Neil

Sponsored Links
Will the water supplier be inspecting the work assuming they know about it.

Yep waterboard are replacing the lead pipe from the road to the meter but say they cant help me from my boundary/meter to the house (20m).

They didnt say anything about inspecting, just to leave our new pipe with a m or 2 extra length at the meter end and they will connect when replacing the lead from the main.
I will be leaving the trench open (covered with plastic) until they have done their bit and connected the new supply incase they want to check anything.

Sponsored Links
The normal practice would be to dig down, then tunnel in from both sides

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back