Drilling into lintel?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello.

I have purchased a house that had a single story extension built in 2008. I want to install some recessed Venetian blinds into the window that is part of the extension.

Due to the length of the blinds (being shorter than the width of the window), I will need to drill the brackets to the ceiling of the window bay. The internal window depth is approx 24cm.

If I drill upwards, I think I may hit the lintel. Is it ok to drill into the lintel? Bearing in mid the age of the extension, what kind of lintel might it be? Are there any diagrams of lintel types?

If the lintel is something like this

http://preview.tinyurl.com/mchdlbq

Then I assume that once I get through the lintel, I will be into brick or breeze block?

Thanks

PC

Sponsored Links
It might be Catnic, steel RSJ or re-inforced concrete and until you do a trial drilling there's no way to know which. They require differing approaches, but the number of holes you need to drill for your project won't do much to them in terms of strength, IMHO. Sorry, can't see your piccy

As above, basically, but there is more of a risk drilling into concrete lintels, unless you keep the screw and hole as short as poss.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back