Drill bit for an awkward lintel

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm trying to put up new blinds for my mother and have now moved on to the upstairs windows but I'm coming up against a very awkward lintel!

I;m trying to fit the small brackets that an aluminum venetian blind rail will clip onto. the sort with just one screw holding it into the brickwork.

Downstairs, there seems to be a metal strip across the inside of the window frame behind the plaster. I've manage to get around it by using a HSS drill bit to punch past the metal and use a rawlplug as normal. There's hardly any weight on the blind so it hangs just fine.

Problem is, upstairs, there seems to be a much tougher metal strip. I can't see it being an RSJ as the window is less than 6ft across but I can't get through it. I've tried HSS drill bits and they just turn red with the heat. I can see the metal in the hols and it's just smiling back at me!

Any ideas how I can:

a) drill through, what drill bit/speed will I need. Or;
b) another way of attaching the blind!!

many thanks,

Phil

Oh, the house is a conventional build, constructed in the mid 1970's.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back