Fixing Blinds To Steel Beam

V0Y

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All

I did a search for similar posts but unfortunately the solutions mentioned haven't quite worked. I need to install some roller blinds in front of my bifold doors. The blinds are designed to be screwed up into what would typically be a lintel or cantic. Lucky me, i have a large RSJ beam spanning 4m directly above the bifold door (along with some plasterboard covering it). I have tried the following already:

- Drilled a 2.5mm pilot hole using a HSS bit and tried to screw in the brackets for the blinds using a easydrive philips self tapping 3.5mm screw. The screw just wouldn't get through. I'd get a couple turns before it just stop and the drill head start chewing away at the philips head

- Drilled a 3mm pilot hole using a HSS bit and same again, just cant get the 3.5mm screw to thread itself in. I didn't want to try a 3.2mm drill bit as i imagine that leaves very little for the the threads.

I'm not sure what to try next. I was thinking of either buying a tap kit to create threads into the 3mm holes i have already drilled but im not sure it that'll work as drilling the 3mm holes was tough so unsure if a tap kit could manage it. The flange of the beam that im drilling into is approx 6mm thick.

Alternative idea i had was widen the holes i have created to 5mm and maybe use standard rawl plugs and normal screws? Would this work?

I am hesitant to try anything that could result in a screw ending up broken inside the hole. I ended up breaking a HSS bit inside one of the holes and had to reposition all the holes again so really don't want that again. Right now i have all my 3mm holes drilled into the beam so hoping i can carry on from there.

Thank you

Sponsored Links
I would use a 3.2mm bit, just enough to let the threads bite. Build up the hole size if necessary

• Thanks
Reactions: V0Y
An alternative might be to drill clearance holes and use spring butterfly connectors that have two sprung "wings" which you push through the hole and which spring out behind it. You do have to make sure, though, that the object you want to secure has the butterfly connector screws inserted through its fixing holes before you push the connectors through their holes.

Sponsored Links
No need to mess around drilling holes just screw in tek screws One per bracket is enough.

No need to mess around drilling holes just screw in tek screws One per bracket is enough.

I might be wrong, I often am, but something at the back of my mind tells me that a tek screw will not self drill into an RSJ

I might be wrong, I often am, but something at the back of my mind tells me that a tek screw will not self drill into an RSJ
Secured all my patio doors using tektight 100mm screws straight into 10mm steel.

Tried and tested that exact Tek screw, and despite drilling a 3mm hole, a 3.5mm tek screw would not thread into the 6mm steel RSJ.

I know the 5mm tek screws come with a hex head so less chances of head chewing up but seeing how much effort was needed for a brand new HSS bit to get through the steel, I cant see how they'd self drill. I'll try a 3.2mm hole and see if the 3.5mm tek screws thread on. Failing that, go with 5mm hole and rawl plugs.

Thanks all

Tried and tested that exact Tek screw, and despite drilling a 3mm hole, a 3.5mm tek screw would not thread into the 6mm steel RSJ.

I know the 5mm tek screws come with a hex head so less chances of head chewing up but seeing how much effort was needed for a brand new HSS bit to get through the steel, I cant see how they'd self drill. I'll try a 3.2mm hole and see if the 3.5mm tek screws thread on. Failing that, go with 5mm hole and rawl plugs.

Thanks all
You don’t pre drill that’s why it failed screw cut its own exact size hole .

To go through the flange of a steel beam it needs to be a heavy duty tek screw with enough drill bit depth to go through the flange, a cheapy simple 30mm or something tek screw from Screwfix won't do, that's fine for going into a bit of metal stud or something similarly lightweight but not good for a 6mm thick or whatever chunk of steel.

@foxhole did your screws have hex heads or ordinary screw heads?

Thanks all
There's a UK youtube video demonstrating the drill a hole and use a woodscrew method, it does work.

• Thanks
Reactions: V0Y

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back