Removing broken drill bit from door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am fitting a new handle and lock to a door. The holes do not line up with the previous handle so I am having to drill new ones for the brass screws.
The drill is only about 2-3mm so I am using a hand drill. Drilled first one OK. Second one the drill was slipping, so I tried to tighten the chuck while the bit was in the door. Disaster. :mad: Bit broke flush with the door.

How do I get the broken bit out of the door?

Sponsored Links
You could possibly use a sharp chisel to take a small bit out of the door (2mm deep or so) surrounding the broken drill bit, then use a pair of pliers to prise the bit out.
When putting doorhandles on with brass screws, I usually pre drill the holes for the screws then put a steel screw into the hole, take it out before putting the brass screw in.

You could possibly use a sharp chisel to take a small bit out of the door (2mm deep or so) surrounding the broken drill bit, then use a pair of pliers to prise the bit out.
When putting doorhandles on with brass screws, I usually pre drill the holes for the screws then put a steel screw into the hole, take it out before putting the brass screw in.
Hadn't though of that. Now to find my small chisel and sharpen it.

The steel screw as a 'pilot' is a good idea too.

Also try drilling a few holes around the broken bit - this should loosen the broken bit sufficient to remove it with pliers.

Sponsored Links
Also try drilling a few holes around the broken bit - this should loosen the broken bit sufficient to remove it with pliers.
Thanks for the suggestion. The only problem is that I want to put a screw in the hole left when the drill is removed, so drilling round the hole will only make it larger which would be defeating the object.

Timber "dowel" glued into the hole will finish the job. I keep a piece of pine in the van, and chisel off a section - shaping with the chisel to fit the hole. hammering this into the hole is usually sufficient, but a bit of glue wouldn't do any harm.

Forgot to say, if you can get your drill chuck near the broken bit, tighten the chuck around it and stick the drill in reverse.

Thanks for both suggestions.

Unfortunately a dowel will show up as the door is unpainted pine. Reversing the drill is a non-starter as the drill has broken off flush with the door. A chisel seems the only solution, followed by a bit of wood filler to hide the damage!

Thanks for both suggestions.

Unfortunately a dowel will show up as the door is unpainted pine. Reversing the drill is a non-starter as the drill has broken off flush with the door. A chisel seems the only solution, followed by a bit of wood filler to hide the damage!

Surely the new door handle will cover this??

I've had similiar things happen in the past.
Once a mistake was made on an oak faced fire door when the handle was put in the wrong position, a long "D" section stainless handle. The handle had to be moved over which of course left two ugly great bolt holes. I solved it by cutting some oak "washers" about 3" in diameter and placing these behind the handles. I had to also put these washers on two adjacent doors simply to match everythiing up but it worked and when the architect was checking everything off the washers weren't even noticed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back