Putting door handles on straight

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This door handle isn't totally flush with door and it turns a bit stiffly. Is this because I didn't drill in perfectly at 90 degrees. So the the hole one side doesn't match the opposite one perfectly? If this is the cause, how do you drill at the perfect angle?
20200320_121237.jpg

Sponsored Links
could be all sorts.
Drill a hole that is big enough to allow clearance (+) for the cross shaft.
Make sure that the lock doesn't sit squint.
Fix one handle and check, then the other

take the handle on the shaft move it up down left and right note the difference and half it and fix it to that position as tigerclubrider said above the spindle hole needs clearance

Probably hole thru door is not quite large enough and rim inside handle is fouling on door .Enlarge spindle hole a few mm.

Sponsored Links
Looks like it happened because the mortise isn't square to the face of the door edge, and the hole is just too tight. When drilling the edge of a door in future use a slightly larger drill bit than the body of the lock/latch, but make sure it's smaller than the face plate

In this case I'd probably ease the right hand side of the hole with a gouge or a small chisel so as to allow the latch mechanism to sit straight in the door

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like it happened because the mortise isn't square to the face of the door edge, and the hole is just too tight. When drilling the edge of a door in future use a slightly larger drill bit than the body of the lock/latch, but make sure it's smaller than the face plate

In this case I'd probably ease the right hand side of the hole with a gouge or a small chisel so as to allow the latch mechanism to sit straight in the door

I gouged out the hole in the top right hand side and now it fits thxs

Don't think i could've drilled it any bigger
15851537474731333406995031899598.jpg

Last edited:
The gap running down the right hand side seems too big. Is it just a case of planing then hanging then planing until it fits perfectly? And putting all screws in hinges when offering it up?
15851568017721239377815023155766.jpg

Can you delete the last picture? The tiling to the right of the door is bothering me.

Why the infill of tiles and why not take them higher so the socket sits flush to them.

Aaaahhhhh. I can’t un-see them

Stop messing about with this door and go and sort out your parents drains.

Andy
They're in isolation. 70s. Do you think the drain below downpipe is a problem? I will go and look at manhole in drive and follow the thread. Cheers

You can go round and unblock the drain without having contact with your parents. Also Sewage is classed as a priority to sort out.

Andy

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back