Drilling into UPVC door frame

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm a bit of a DIY novice, so please be gentle!

I want to attach an eye (with the hook drilled into an outside wall) to the outside of 2 french doors, so that I can fold the doors completely back, and to stop them from banging in the wind.

I want to do this on the outside bottom corner (opposite to the hinge side) of each door, in the white UPVC surround. Can you tell me if it is safe to do this, or if I risk breaking the door.

If it is ok to do are there any special precautions I should take?

Thanks

Mel

Sponsored Links
no problem with the drilling.

only probem is if its too windy and rips the eye out from the pvc.

although crude how about a piece of string through the hook, long enough to go arond the handle, or wjay about the old fashiend gate holder?

dont know if that's what its called but its fixed to the ground in the middle and weighted at one end , the door goes over it, pushing it down and when its in the right place the weight makes it pop up and grab the door

Cabin hooks; I’ve fitted to 4 sets of French doors with them. ;) It’s not a problem drilling the door frame along the bottom & you only need a very small pilot hole (I used 1mm), just keep clear of the glass & only drill through the first layer of PVC, don’t keep going till you come out the other side! :eek:

These caravan door retainers are better than hook and eyes

images

Sponsored Links
These caravan door retainers are better than hook and eyes

images
Hmmm, functionally I can see your point but the aesthetics are debateable; they look like they belong, well, on a caravan! :confused: & having had the floating equivalent of a caravan for many, many years, I’m not sure how long those plastic, hooky bits would last when expose to the elements!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back