Drilling on party wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello everyone,

Can someone please help. Neighbour wants to drill holes in party wall which we are constructing on our property in line with the fence (we own the fence) which faces the neighbours side. They want to hang pots and plant climbers by our wall.

I was under the impression that neighbours cannot do so unless we the owners of party wall agree.

Can someone please help and clarify?

Thanks, LK

Sponsored Links
Do you really dislike your neighbours that much?

It isn't going to damage the wall. What is your objection?

My objection is neighbours really gave us a hard time when they found out we are building an extension and they were hell bent only to allow to be built to the size what they built but council granted the permission and they were not happy about it. this extension is being built to accommodate the needs for a disabled person. So I want to know are we in right to refuse them to do so. Happy for them to place it in the pots bit not Hppt for them to hang things on my wall.

Sponsored Links
If it on your side of the boundary, then it's not a party wall, its your wall, and the neighbour has no rights to fix to it or do anything else to it

Do you really dislike your neighbours that much?
Perhaps the OP likes a detached wall with nothing attached to it that could then transmit sound in to the wall and the rooms on the other side of it?

Or perhaps the OP does not want to create an implied easement which then allows the neighbour (and successors) rights in property law that they would not and should not otherwise have?

Why dont you do the decent thing and offer an olive branch. Let them know that in spite of the previous objections they can fix pots to the wall but not climbers and the plants must not cause any damage to the wall.

If I was your neighbour I would wait for you to go out and drill the holes to fix my pots.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back