drilling through stainless steel

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
im trying to drill through 3mm of stainless steel with a hand drill. Ive tried a HSS drill bit and a titanium coated drill bit without luck; it drills about halfway through but wont go any more regardless of how hard i try.

any tips for drilling holes?

Sponsored Links
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Use a quality HSS bit
Keep the drill speed slow (if you are using a mains pistol drill they go far too fast, so press the trigger in bursts)
Use a coolant (WD40)
Keep pressure on the drill bit, and definitely not hammer.
John :)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
cheers john. think my drill bits wouldnt be described as "quality"! this is most likley the problem. ill drop by B&Q tomorrow and purchase some quality bits. cheers for the advice all.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What size hole are you drilling?

get some decent drill bits and try a pilot hole first.

Sponsored Links
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A decent & correctly sharpened HSS bit should do it; try spraying with WD40 as you drill & use lots of pressure at a slower speed than normal; high speed on SS will cook the end of the bit & then it's firked. ;)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
try a 3mm drill bit first as a pilot, keep the SS cool or it will harden.. then you're truly fraked..

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
And of course, if youv'e used a crap drill bit, and gone too fast with it, theres a fair chance youve hardened up the stainless, which will give you even more problems.

Slow speed, but plenty of pressure is the way for stainless.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Stainless steel will 'work harden' very easily, it is vital that you use a much drilling presure as possible, at a fairly slow speed, a sulpherised lubricant will help to...Rocol RDT fluid...don't breath the fumes..

Wotan

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
If you have a lot of holes to drill & it is feasible, then it is well worth investing £30 in a pillar drill. I have just done a project that involved drilling 150 holes of various diameter (3mm- 12.5mm ) in 2.5mm wall s/s tube & it was a doddle, I just used hss bits & kept them sharp. I would not like to have done it with a hand drill.

Sponsored Links