Drimaster PIV Unit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All, Anyone have experience of these?
Having had damp courses done, and advice re condensation I have had recommended one of these.

I know windows etc are a good option but my house doesnt have cavity wall and is freezing so having windows and vents open makes it even worse - apparently these are a great help with condensation and the black mould that comes with it...
Anybody have experience of these units?
piv1.JPG

Sponsored Links
There have been various posts about these in the past; search the forum for "PIV" or maybe 'Drimaster".

My stndard response to condensation questions is: How do you dry clothes? Do you have extractors in the kitchen and bathroom? Do you use them?

Sponsored Links
There have been various posts about these in the past; search the forum for "PIV" or maybe 'Drimaster".

My stndard response to condensation questions is: How do you dry clothes? Do you have extractors in the kitchen and bathroom? Do you use them?

Thank you.
I am very cautious to not do anything within my control to add to the problem (clothes etc) I always open the bathroom window and close the door, I have an extractor in the kitchen. My house is very old and does not have cavity walls so gets very cold which I know doesnt help condensation. I was just really hoping for someone who has experience of using a PIV and if it helped?

A side question also, I have looked at the Drimaster standard PIV and the one with the heat function - from what I have read the heat function doesn't really have much of a noticeable benefit and is relatively costly - does anyone have any comments re that? Is it worth it, or is the standard one ok?

Fan in the bathroom is essential.You would be better off spending money on heating and insulation if property is cold.

My mum has a rental property and the tenants were complaining of mould. We tried to tell them about opening windows and not drying clothes indoors etc, but being tenants, there is little you can do if they ignore it. I was very skeptical, but we fitted one of these and the problem disappeared.

PIV units are a coverup/fixall type of thing, which in many cases reduce or eleminate problems with damp and mould.

They are often fitted to properties by landlords, to cope with the actions of clueless/negligent persons who may live there - the sort that never open windows, hang washing over radiators to dry, switch off bathroom extractors because they make too much noise, use tumble dryers which just vent into the room and boil up who knows what food on the hob for hours at a time.

So yes they can work - but if you are living there, it is far better to remove the sources of moisture before considering a PIV unit.

As a PIV unit just pushes airr out of the property, it's pretty much doing the same thing as opening the windows. Air will also take the line of least resistance, so may not get it out of the rooms that you want. Plus, if thre are no trickle vents in the worst rooms, then it won't push any air out. You can get them with heaters in, and these can be good for heating the freezing cold air that's in your loft before it get pushed into the property.

I suspect it may not achieve what you want, and you may just have to get used to putting a jumper on, and opening the windows.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back