Drip, drip, drip.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Yesterday I discovered a dried up green mark below the radiator trv in the toilet and finding no leak wiped it off. This morning it's back again and I need advice on how to tackle it. The problem can be seen in the attached photo.

Attachments

• 364266DB-A4DB-47B6-A3DF-358EACE9C162.jpeg
    364266DB-A4DB-47B6-A3DF-358EACE9C162.jpeg
    250 KB · Views: 81
Sponsored Links
Is it leaking from the compression joint or the actual valve? You may be able to tighten the joint but the valve will need replacing.

Is it leaking from the compression joint or the actual valve? You may be able to tighten the joint but the valve will need replacing.
Thanks for the quick reply. The leak appears to be coming from the joint so I'll have a go to tighten that. The valve is only 2 years old but if tightening the joint stops the drip, would I still have to replace it?

Sponsored Links
No. If it stops the drip, that’s it. Job done!
No such luck! The joint is as tight as it will go and given that is below the valve, does this mean that the whole system will have to be drained?

Looks like it could be the bottom soldered joint on the microbore.

Clean the paint off the bottom pipe, dry it all up with toilet roll, then use your finger with toilet roll wrapped around it and wipe around the joint. if it stays dry try at the bottom of the valve. Are you having to top the boiler pressure up regularly?

If it's the nut, there'll probably be a snap reducer in there, they're also prone to leaking if they get unsettled, in fact even if you look at them the wrong way. The way to try and sort them is to back the nut off half a turn and nip it back up. If it is from the bottom of the valve and that doesn't work then it's depressurise, shut the valve off and take the nut off and wrap the reducer in a couple of turns of gas PTFE tape and nip it back up

Are you sure the soldered joint isn't leaking, difficult to tell from pic?
Thanks for your help but to be honest, I'm not sure of anything. Perhaps the new images will help.

Attachments

• 2C5F2D2F-05BC-41ED-94AE-25C408B5DDC4.jpeg
    2C5F2D2F-05BC-41ED-94AE-25C408B5DDC4.jpeg
    166.7 KB · Views: 57
  • CBFF2BD3-4AE7-4AAD-BE2E-B86A6BB17BF9.jpeg
    CBFF2BD3-4AE7-4AAD-BE2E-B86A6BB17BF9.jpeg
    255.1 KB · Views: 56
Looks like it could be the bottom soldered joint on the microbore.

Clean the paint off the bottom pipe, dry it all up with toilet roll, then use your finger with toilet roll wrapped around it and wipe around the joint. if it stays dry try at the bottom of the valve.
Will do
Are you having to top the boiler pressure up regularly?
Iv'e never touched the pressure adjuster and imagine the engineer does that with the annual service. I wouldn't know where to start but will look this up later today.
If it's the nut,...... the way to try and sort them is to back the nut off half a turn and nip it back up.
I'll try this.
If it is from the bottom of the valve and that doesn't work then it's depressurise, shut the valve off and take the nut off and wrap the reducer in a couple of turns of gas PTFE tape and nip it back up. Will have to read up on depressurising
For no apparent reason, the drip hasn't reappeared so far today. Nevertheless, I will take your suggested approach to tackling the problem. I have no idea where the water escape is but there does seem to be a touch of green on the pipe between the soldered an compression joints. Again, thanks for the help it is much appreciated.

Wrap a piece of tissue paper around the compression nut ,not as low as the soldered elbow. If the compression joint is leaking it will get wet.

Wrap a piece of tissue paper around the compression nut ,not as low as the soldered elbow. If the compression joint is leaking it will get wet.
Thank you for that, I will apply your simple but clearly effective advice after I've cleaned of the paint etc.
edit: done!

Last edited:
Can anyone tell me where the green colour in the drip comes from?

Copper oxide. Oxidisation of the copper pipe caused by moisture and air. (Your leak). Have you ever seen anyone’s wrist that wears a copper bracelet? They have a green ring on their skin caused by the copper reacting with sweat.

Reminds me of the old, old joke about a Gypsy woman that goes to the doctor with two green marks on her inner thighs. After the doctor examines her he says "Madam, please tell your husband that his earrings are not gold".…….

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back