Dripping ball valve in the toilet leads to overflow HELP!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a dripping ball valve in the toilet cistern. It is adjusted to fill and stop all at the right levels but over time (night or while at work) it fills up past the overflow pipe. This overflow pipe is not very well connected and it leaks.

Lat night I took the thing apart and cleaned it and put it back. I fills fine now but drips very slowly over time. Apart from replacing the whole machanism whihc I'm not convinced is the route to take, what can I do to stop this drip?

Can anyone help this frustrated amateur plumber?!

Rob

Sponsored Links
Sounds as though the sealing washer has gone. Don't know what you've got but you can either buy a repair kit with the standard washers, diaphragms etc or buy a new syphon. Cleaning it won't fix the problem, you've got to replace the worn rubber bits.

Hmmm, I did check the rubber seals and they look fine, not perrsished or split.

Inside on the side the water comes from there is a conical peice of plastic. I have turned this around wich allows water to fill the cistern faster. The o ring is on the inside but makes no difference.

Any other ideas?!

Rob,

as you are capable of removing/repairing the ball valve.

Save yourself a lot of aggro and replace the bloody thing!

About £4.00 from a plumbing shop, or £7.00 from somewhere like Focus.

I never bother with replacing washers etc. for the cost it is not worth it.

Leave the through cistern fitting in situ and take the thing with you to the shop to avoid getting the wrong one.

Sponsored Links
I did buy a new one and please don't imply I'm a tight arse! I wasn't sure if there was something I was missing that some kind chap could help me with before Iopened the packet.
thank you for your comments. Decision made

It will be the rubber seal that needs replacing - honest! Try holding the the ball up with your hand and see if it still drips. (Not that that will actually prove anything one way or another - you can put more pressure on it with your hand than the water pressure on the ball or it may continue to drip). There's normally nothing visibly wrong with the washer, they just can go hard over time.

As you've taken it apart you should be able to work out the bit that actually seals the water inlet. Bear in mind that it all operates at mains pressure and it will only take a slight weakness to allow a drip through.

If you're not convinced, replace the whole assembly - at least you'll know it's all new.

dudley_rob said:
I did buy a new one and please don't imply I'm a tight ****! I wasn't sure if there was something I was missing that some kind chap could help me with before Iopened the packet.
thank you for your comments. Decision made

Nothing of the sort!!!!

Pot, kettle black... :p

Just wasn't sure if you realised they are not expensive.

It is not just the rubber washer that wears out, the other mating surfaces wear out too, and if you just replace the washer, this will work initially, but due to the other worn surfaces will wear out the rubber much quicker.

Good luck!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back