Toilet cistern running and overflow drip on loft tank

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone my toilet cistern was running constantly and also the overflow from the cold water storage tank in the loft. I've tried the ball valve up in the toilet and a plumber is coming on Monday, didn't want to call an emergency plumber. Anyway since I've tried the ball valve up the loft tank overflow has stopped dripping. Does anyone know if the toilet was causing the other issue in the loft? Thank you in advance.

Sponsored Links
I can't think of any way tying up the ball valve in the toilet cistern could stop the ball valve in the loft water storage tank from also leaking. Must be a coincidence.
I'd get the plumber to look at BOTH ball valves while he's there.

I can't think of any way tying up the ball valve in the toilet cistern could stop the ball valve in the loft water storage tank from also leaking. Must be a coincidence.
I'd get the plumber to look at BOTH ball valves while he's there.
Thanks, I've now been told that it's possible the constantly running toilet has been forcing water up into the loft tank but I'm not sure. Thanks for your reply, I'll get them both checked tomorrow.

When you say "constantly running toilet" do you mean that your toilet cistern has an overflow that discharges into the toilet (rather than the older method of having it discharge to an outside overflow pipe)? So that the issue is constant water flowing into the toilet?
If so, there is absolutely no way this could force water up into the loft tank causing it to overflow. There is no pipe connection between the toilet and the loft tank other than both cistern and tank being fed from the mains water feed. The ONLY way the loft tank can overflow is if its ball valve is leaking or maladjusted.

Sponsored Links
Or if a mixer tap or shower has an internal leak, or, thankfully rarely, a hot water cylinder is overheating.

But not a WC cistern.

When you say "constantly running toilet" do you mean that your toilet cistern has an overflow that discharges into the toilet (rather than the older method of having it discharge to an outside overflow pipe)? So that the issue is constant water flowing into the toilet?
If so, there is absolutely no way this could force water up into the loft tank causing it to overflow. There is no pipe connection between the toilet and the loft tank other than both cistern and tank being fed from the mains water feed. The ONLY way the loft tank can overflow is if its ball valve is leaking or maladjusted.
It has an internal overflow that runs down the drain but not via the pan, very old toilet. The reason it's running is because it's emptying at the bottom (flapper) and so constantly filling at the inlet. After tying up the ball valve the full cistern emptied after about half an hour. The loft tank has started dripping again so it's not connected.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back