Dripping overflow!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm trying to identify the source of a dripping overflow pipe which is just under the eaves of the building (a top floor flat). It doesn't seem to be coming from the sinks, bath or toilet so I'm assuming it must be either the cold water header tank in the loft or connected to the central heating. The heating is by combi boiler so I don't think there would be a header tank for this. Does anyone know if overflow could come from the combi boiler (the reservoir tank?) or is it likely to be the cold water tank? I don't know whether to call a plumber or a gas engineer! Thanks

Sponsored Links
Its probably from cold water tanks in the loft but perhaps associated with another flat.

Better to go into your loft and trace the pipe back to its source!

Tony

Thanks agile. It's great to get some free advice! DIY is such a minefield! I suggested to my neighbour that if it was the cold water tank, the cost for sorting this out should be shared between the flat owners in the building, but my neighbour suggested each flat would have its own plumbing system. I thought the cold water tank would be supplying the whole building?!

Sponsored Links
Its normal when a combi boiler is fitted to convert the flat to mains water feed and stop using anything in the loft. Sometimes thats not done though.

Some flats have a communal cistern and others have individual cisterns. None of you know so its a waste of time to speculate. You will need to have a look and if necessary gat a professional to advise you. Its not unknown for a Know it All to go and have a look anbd give wrong advice or to cover up the real situation to either charge you themselves for "fixing" it or to somehow say something that avoids them having to pay.

You could always pass on the problem to the freeholder who will return it with the service charge.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back