Dripping bath drainage pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've finally solved the mystery of my rocking bathtub but in doing so I've realised this pipe is attached very precariously I have pushed it back but it doesn't seem very secure and don't like the thought of leaving it like this under my bath.

There's a very old towel underneath so I suspect a problem historically and also looks like someone has tried to seal with silicone at some point then scraped it of.

I've hopefully indicated in the image where the leak is and any advice would be appreciated. Is there some sealant/glue I could use or is this a terrible idea which would create more mess?

https://photos.app.goo.gl/vW2FdSTasGSJT37D9

Sponsored Links
Is the pipe that goes through the wall copper or plastic ?
You should replace the connector.

Is the pipe that goes through the wall copper or plastic ?
You should replace the connector.
Thanks for the reply
Copper coloured, but plastic!

The connector is the small pipe in the middle with a slight bend in it? Any idea what it's called? (Just difficult to browse in a shop at the moment!) And this would come with a rubber seal?

I am not at all sure what size your pipes are ,or if that fitting is a push fit. It is however a 135 degree coupler ,sometimes referred to as an obtuse bend ,or 135 degree bend.
There are 3 types of these ,compression fitting ,solvent weld,or push fit . Also more than one size ,but 40 mm would be for your bath.
Can you pull out the pipes from your fitting easily. If you can it's likely a push fit version such as Screwfix code 75948.

Sponsored Links
Yup, if the pipe isn't far enough into the fitting then go out and buy a length of ABS 40mm waste pipe, have a method to cut and deburr and then use a 45deg fitting like the one @Hugh Jaleak linked to or the McAlpine equivalent and make up a new run to make sure everything is nice and snug.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back