BATH: leaking water from drainage pipe, help required.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone

Help required.

I have a leak where the drainage pipe from the bath joins the stack pipe. Upon tightening all connections the join still leaked when emptying the bath water, so have removed the trap and all the pipes leading to the stack, where I noticed the plastic pipe simply pushes on to the stub sticking out from the stack. Is this normal, and if so, how can I obtain a tight fit, so that the join no longer leaks? I would also like to know if the way my trap has been fitted/built, is normal?

I can take some photographs of the trap, pipes and the stack, if that is any use to anyone in helping me to solve this situation.

Thanks in advance

Carla

Sponsored Links
There certainly are push-fit joints between waste and soil. Sometimes called expansion connections. SOme (eg Terrain) are a darned site better than others. There's likely to be an O ring involved, and the joint probably wouldn't have leaked when it was new if it was assembled correctly.
If you can identify the make you might be able to reassemble with the critical parts renewed. SO look for names, but a pic might well help.

I'm assuming the stack is plastic not cast iron. If it's CI, I must say I've never seen a plastic to Iron strap that wasn't leaking after a while - including the ones I tried. There are special arrangements for them, which were all big 'n ugly when I was doing that sort of stuff.

ChrisR said:
There certainly are push-fit joints between waste and soil. Sometimes called expansion connections. SOme (eg Terrain) are a darned site better than others. There's likely to be an O ring involved, and the joint probably wouldn't have leaked when it was new if it was assembled correctly.
If you can identify the make you might be able to reassemble with the critical parts renewed. SO look for names, but a pic might well help.

I'm assuming the stack is plastic not cast iron. If it's CI, I must say I've never seen a plastic to Iron strap that wasn't leaking after a while - including the ones I tried. There are special arrangements for them, which were all big 'n ugly when I was doing that sort of stuff.

Thank you for your reply.

I believe the stack is Cast Iron and have had a smell coming from the bathroom for a while when I have been away for a few days, so assume this may have leaked for awhile.

My intention was to rebuild the rather appalling plasterboard walling around the stack so I could install a shower screen and retile the bathroom, but now have a leak. I have a basic knowledge of most things, but have never put my hand to plumbing, so have no idea. I expect the whole bathroom has been a bodge job previously, as the bath is not fixed to anything, not even screwed down.

I will look for a name and will try and post some photographs tomorrow, as it will make the whole thing clearer. If it is a matter of buying a new push-fit joint/expansion connection, then all good and well. If it is a matter of replacing a and refitting the whole lot, then better performed now, rather than later.

Again, thanks for the replies and if all else fails then I will try the silicone.

Carla

Sponsored Links
Bamber gaspipe said:
carla118 said:
so if you send me an E-mail, i will send the photographs directly to you.

Carla

[email protected]

Hope my wife doesn`t read this (gulp)....she will never believe that this is a D.I.Y forum..... :oops:

I did not quite understand your comment for a moment there, but yes, I seem what you mean, he, he.

For the benefit of your wife, you may show her the photographs, where she will see a very DIRTY, DIRTY, sewage pipe, he, he.

Carla

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back