Dripping boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Woscester Bosch pressurised system boiler - about 3-4 years old. It is fitted to a conventional system with radiators and a vented hot water cylinder. Every few months or so water drips from the front right corner. Today I put a container under and collected about half a liter in about half an hour. It has stopped now. I thought it might be something to do with condensing but the outlet pipe for condensate is on the left. The flue is on the right hand side and I also wondered if rain might be getting in. The pressure hasnt dropped and all seems to be working fine. I just wondered if anyone has come accross this before or has an explanation.

Thanks all.

Grommett

Sponsored Links
Boiler engineers see all kinds of boiler problems but none have seen yours apparently! Dont you get it serviced anually?

Can you tie up this random leaking with heavy rain? That sounds most likely as its so random and system pressure does not drop.

If so likely to be a flue installation error or a gutter leaking above the flue.

Tony

Hi Tony

I had it serviced last year but as this happens so infrequently, I actually forgot to mention it to the engineer. :oops:

As for flue installation it is a ground floor boiler in a two storey house so the gutter is some way above and doesn't leak.

It doesn't drip every time we have very heavy rain but I will try and note the weather the next time it happens. Since my posting the weather has been terrible and it hasn't dripped at all. Weird.

I have a feeling it has something to do with the condensing but I still don't understand why it happens so infrequently, this is probably only the 2nd or 3rd time it has happened but it is quite a mop-up operation when it does.

It's no big deal if no-one knows the answer, maybe I need an excorcist!

Ian

I have a worscester bosch boiler (CDI35) - 8?ish yrs old - not a condensating one.
We get a leak from underneath -but only when it is cold and not in use much...
First appeared in feb/mar when we were away for a week -partner on his own and working FT - so heating off for most of the day and little hot water use (he showers at the gym)... pressure might have gone down a bit but not much...
We were due our service anyway, the plumber looked at it but couldn't find a leak or evidence of where it had been ...
But when we were away over Easter -same situation - I came back to find the leak again and water pressure maybe down a little - this time I looked and it seemed to be on a pipe near the water inlet - but not from that just dripping onto that...stops as soon as the boiler is turned on...
Waiting for plumber to get round to see it (local guy - really good reputation so rushed off his feet and this isn't an emergency as such) ... anyway now -even with heating off in the day - it has disappeared again....guess water in use more...just hoping there are now water marks for him to see.. otherwise hopefully in the summer it will show come back and he can find it..
Maybe all worcester bosch boilers are possessed or they are attention seekers and it keeps feeling a bit neglected...

Sponsored Links
I have a worscester bosch boiler (CDI35) - 8?ish yrs old - not a condensating one.
We get a leak from underneath -but only when it is cold and not in use much...
First appeared in feb/mar when we were away for a week -partner on his own and working FT - so heating off for most of the day and little hot water use (he showers at the gym)... pressure might have gone down a bit but not much...
We were due our service anyway, the plumber looked at it but couldn't find a leak or evidence of where it had been ...
But when we were away over Easter -same situation - I came back to find the leak again and water pressure maybe down a little - this time I looked and it seemed to be on a pipe near the water inlet - but not from that just dripping onto that...stops as soon as the boiler is turned on...
Waiting for plumber to get round to see it (local guy - really good reputation so rushed off his feet and this isn't an emergency as such) ... anyway now -even with heating off in the day - it has disappeared again....guess water in use more...just hoping there are now water marks for him to see.. otherwise hopefully in the summer it will show come back and he can find it..
Maybe all worcester bosch boilers are possessed or they are attention seekers and it keeps feeling a bit neglected...

All leaks are potentially expensive, and the longer you leave it leaking the more it's gonna cost.

But it isn't leaking anymore...unfortunately ...I did get the impression he thought I was imagining it or something last time he looked at it... :oops:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back