Dripping radiator nut problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a small problem - one of my radiators is dripping from the nut (slow drip) where the pipe joins the valve. I haven't even had my radiators on. I am not sure if my son or dog has knocked it, or if the olive has just corroded over time etc?

will I need to drain down the whole system to replace the olive? Or can I do anything without the need to drain down. The system is tank fed.

Thanks for your help

Sponsored Links
Often a leak at a compression fitting will respond to just a tweak with a spanner, but how tight the nut should be is a matter of experience, developing a 'feel' for how tight is too tight, and when to seek an alternative solution. Overtightening the nut may crush the pipe.

You could try releasing the nut, springing the pipe down a bit, and winding two or three turns of PTFE tape round the olive, or a smear of jet blue or LS-X, and re-fit. Sealant round the threads does nothing on compression fittings - the seal is the olive, the thread just holds it all together.

You may be able to do this without draining the system by shutting the boiler off, bunging the feed and vent, and closing one rad. valve before starting. Expect a bit of water, so have a paint tray and some old towels handy, and be ready to move quickly if anything breaks the vacuum in the system.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back