Dripping Shower - Info inside

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

Hope somebody can help please.

I have a Gainsborough Recessed Thermostatic Shower Mixer http://www.discountedheating.co.uk/shop/acatalog/Gainsborough_Shower_Valves.html and installed this early January this year.

It has almost lasted a year but now it has started to drip from the shower head. It is recessed into the wall with ceramic tiles surrounding. The cold water is fed from a storage tank in the loft through a shower pump and the hot is fed from the hot water cylinder through a shower pump, both hot and cold go from the shower pump to the recessed shower valve in the internal timber stud partition wall cavity.

I may be answering my own question but having read other posts on this site could this be a) the washers/seals inside the valve or b) the mixer cartridge?

All help will be appreciated so that i can go about stopping this annoying drip, drip, drip sound.

Look forward to your replies.

Many thanks,

Mark

P.S. I am hoping not to have to rip the tiles off the wall to get inside the cavity to the shower valve. Can i access it from the front removing the on/off temp lever??

Sponsored Links
Mark69 said:
I have a Gainsborough Recessed Thermostatic Shower Mixer http://www.discountedheating.co.uk/shop/acatalog/Gainsborough_Shower_Valves.html and installed this early January this year.

It has almost lasted a year but now it has started to drip from the shower head.
In that case it has developed a faulty within the warranty period - contact the manufacturer for a replacement cartridge.

I may be answering my own question but having read other posts on this site could this be a) the washers/seals inside the valve
That would be extremely unlikely given that your supplies are 'tank-fed'.

...or b) the mixer cartridge?
Much more likely.

P.S. I am hoping not to have to rip the tiles off the wall to get inside the cavity to the shower valve. Can i access it from the front removing the on/off temp lever??
Yes.

Softus, thank you for your timely reply it is much appreciated.

Many thanks.

PS. I spoke to a plumber since i posted, he says he can get me a "service kit"? does a new cartridge come with it?

Thank you

Mark69 said:
PS. I spoke to a plumber since i posted, he says he can get me a "service kit"? does a new cartridge come with it?
I don't know about this make/model, but I do know that generally a service kit contains O rings, washers, filter screens, and any other bits that the manufacturer has decided can wear, but not the cartridge.

If it were mine, or a customer's, and it were still under warranty, I'd be looking to the manufacturer to decide what parts it needs and to supply those parts.

Sponsored Links
Hi Softus,

Thanks once again for your replies, it is still under warranty, the trouble i have is that it is a recessed shower valve and it has been built into the partition and tiled around and silicone sealed etc. It would mean ripping it out if i go back to the manufacturer? causing too much time/mess.

I thought if i was to just get a replacement cartridge i could reasonably quickly change it from the front through the lever tap.

Many thanks,

Mark

They are always serviceable from the front - you get the biggy knob off and all is revealed. Call the Mfr though if under warranty, they can be a pickle.

Mark69 said:
Thanks once again for your replies, it is still under warranty, the trouble i have is that it is a recessed shower valve and it has been built into the partition and tiled around and silicone sealed etc.
I thought we'd already dealt with that concern - it isn't one.

It would mean ripping it out if i go back to the manufacturer?
No.

I thought if i was to just get a replacement cartridge i could reasonably quickly change it from the front through the lever tap.
You can do that whether you replace the cartridge or service it (if kit is available). Whether or not it's quick is down to your own aptitude.

Once again thank you for your replies.

The shower valve is the recessed type not the exposed type.

I will probably just buy a new cartridge although not sure how much these are £? I should be able to fit it, i fit the shower intially with all the plumbing and pipework and pump etc. I installed some inline shut off valves so it isnt a problem isolating the supplies whilst i replace the cartridge.

Sorry to be a nuisance but does anyone know roughly how much and where i can get a replacement cartridge from??

I would go back to manufacturer but manufacturer is Gainsborough as per link in first post. Not sure if they got took over by Aqua Lisa a while back??? I'll have a search on net.

Many thanks,

Mark

Mark69 said:
The shower valve is the recessed type not the exposed type.
I really don't see what difference that makes. And please don't ask again whether you can remove the cartridge from the front. You can.

I will probably just buy a new cartridge...
That's so completely crazy that I have to suspect you of not telling us something.

Sorry to be a nuisance but does anyone know roughly how much and where i can get a replacement cartridge from?
Telephone the number on the documentation that came with the shower.

I would go back to manufacturer but manufacturer is Gainsborough as per link in first post. Not sure if they got took over by Aqua Lisa a while back?
Count yourself lucky if Aqualisa did absorb Gainsborough (although personally I think it's Sadia), because you won't find better customer service from any shower manufacturer.

Thanks for your replies.

To Softus:

1) If the cartridge can be removed from the front then it makes no difference. Thank you for clarifying this.

2) Honestly nothing that i haven't told you. I am now trying to find the receipt. It was bought from B&Q. Will keep searching. Only managed to find the instruction manual so far... There is nothing more to tell, honestly, sorry.

3) Now found instructions and receipt and will call them asap. The receipt is dated 20/01/07.

4) Thanks. I will look into this.

Once again thank you for your time, courtesy and most of all, patience.

Thanks

Mark

PS. Softus:

Just as i thought, they have been absorbed by Aqua Lisa. Just tried the number in the instructions (01959 560010) went through to answerphone, will try again tomorrow. Many thanks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back