Dripping tap - best kind of tap reseating tool?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a high quality Pegler Sequel sink mixer tap that drips badly. I would like to repair this. We are in a hard water area and the tap seat is eroded. I tried to smooth the seat using one of the cheap plastic body re-seaters but this would not cut deep enough. I then got a multi tooth cutter, fitted it to the cheap reseater and tried that. It cut just fine but I could not execute the cut without judder to get the seat smooth enough. I think it is worth paying for a better quality reseating tool but I don't understand the different types.
Some have a tapered body section to locate in the tap - can't see how this works - and some seem to screw in like my cheap plastic model. Also some have springs and others have feedscrew pressure. I am very confused as to what style will work for the Pegler Sequel.
I would appreciate some advice from an expert

Sponsored Links
the tapered body, all metal type is the best, the tapered bit simply screws in to the tap body whatever size/thread it is, you should get 2 different sized cutters for 1/2" and 3/4" taps, i have a monument one that i have had for donkeys yrs and it works great, the handle is red on it, not sure but think they will still be available

Sponsored Links
Sometimes a really sharp cutter can be a bit too 'hungry' to give the best possible finish - once it bites into the work it starts to dig in too far too quickly.

I would try packing one or two of the cutter flutes with something like pieces of a matchstick to stop it biting too deep. By unbalancing the cutting action a bit it may help stop the cutter teeth dropping into every 'chat' of the chatter marks as you turn it.

Thanks for this. I am sure this would work but rather than give it a go with my cheapo reseater I decided to buy a 'proper' Monument tap reseater. I got confused about which style reseater I needed because the tap is a 'trad' design but the works are modern BS5412.
I can report a success. I was alarmed to see that the cut was at a different angle to the cheapo hand pressure reseater but kept on grinding and got a good result.
For anyone else thinking of getting one of these Monoment 'proper' reseaters I can advise that they certainly give a good result but are a little tricky to use. As TicklyT states the new cutter bites fiercely into the brass and requires fine control. The feedscrew gives this ultra fine control over the force of the cut with carefull adjusting but I found the feedscrew can get drawn down into a deeper cut by the action of turning the cutter. I had to hold the feedscrew firmly in place as I cut to stop the tool grinding down continuously.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back