Dripping tap

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've been summoned to my son's place to "have a look" at this basin tap, which has developed a slow drip.

At a guess, I'd say there is a ceramic cartridge in there somewhere. Or would there be 2?

Before I pay a visit, could anyone suggest which parts I should be removing and where I might find any hidden grub/hex screws etc.

Haven't got a clue as to make, so advice will have to be generic, but would be grateful to be nudged in the right direction.

Many thanks!

Attachments

• image1.JPG
    image1.JPG
    127.5 KB · Views: 109
Sponsored Links
Looks like the the cap will flip off the handle using a small flat headed screwdriver, this should then give access to a screw that will be holding the handle/wheel head on. Once unscrewed that should just pull off.
The shield may have a tiny grub or hex screw at the rear, but may also just twist off.
That should then give you access to the cartridge, which will need a spanner to take out. Isolate water before removal.

Make sure it's 1/4 turn, and therefore ceramic. Ceramic are sealed and the whole valve is replaced, always better to service both at the same time.
If they're screw down taps (that type of tap head are usually screw down type), then it just needs a new washer and take apart as @PrenticeBoyofDerry has explained, washer at the base, pop off/screw off and renew.

Going from memory, they're 1/4 turn, so probably ceramic? I guess that means a valve on each side.

Thanks for both comments, I feel a tad more confident now.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back