Dripping Vaillant Sine 18 T3WF H

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

My old boiler has sprung a leak, poor dear :p Pic is here:
leak.jpg

It drips only when the hot water is running. I tried tightening the nut a little but no joy. I'm imagining it's a washer issue but is this something I, a non-plumber(!), can fix or do I need a professional. And if I need a pro, will they need to be Corgi registered?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
A 3/4" fibre washer will sort it, but you will need to drain that part of the system, unless you have isolation on that section of pipework. Some water will still come out if you have isolation, so prepare for that.

A 3/4" fibre washer will sort it, and you will need to either isolate that section of pipework if there are any valves, or drain that section of pipework.

Sponsored Links
just turn cold water off at stop cock and open hot tap , that is all you will have to do to change washer

There is an appliance isolating valve on 15mm pipe 3rd from right but they tend to seize up

or it's coming from the stuffing box on top of the water section. Water has a habit of running down. You may have to remove the fascia panel and look for signs of water higher than the nut that's dripping.
Also if it is dripping from the nut it's a 1/2" washer not a 3/4".

Weargas you are TOO fast for me. I was at thinking stage when you posted it needs 1/2" seal.

Thanks guys. However, it looks like weargas might be right - having replaced the washer there was still a leak. :(

On closer inspection it looks like the water is actually coming from a connection on top of the larger section (sorry - don't know the name!) to the immediate right of the dripping in the pic above. This looks like a job that I should hand over to a pro - do you know if I'd need a Corgi registered bod?

This is the best I can do without taking off the front cover (am I allowed to do that?!). The nut in the foreground is the one I thought the leak was coming from:
leak2.jpg

thanks

Sorry - me again! I had another look at the original connector and found that there was another washer in there. I took that out (it was a bit damaged and feel apart as I took it out) and put the new washer back.

However, the drips were more frequent, so I put an additional washer in and for now, there doesn't seem to be any dripping. Hopefully this is OK now, but I'll report back if ther are any further developments.

I assume it's OK to have 2 washers in place?

The original picture did really look as if it was coming from the stuffing box.

However, if the fibre washers have stopped it then thats OK.

I still suspect it may turn out to be the stuffing box as they tend to be intermittent.

Tony

Thanks. So if it does turn out to be the stuffing box, that would be the time to call someone out? And if it is that, would the dripping only happen when the hot water is flowing?

One of the features of a leak from the stuffing box is that it leaks more when there is a demand for hot water.

Dirt on the moving pin seals it a little when its in the resting position.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back