Drive a van? What one?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ive put this in this forum to hopefully get the best response. Im looking at contract hiring a new panel van, and as usual there are quite a few to chose from, and if my record of buying cars/tvs/stereos etc is anything to go by im the bloke who bought the three wheeler, with the betamax video, laser disc and black and white tv installed, the day before the four wheel,vhs,cd colour one came out! I just wondered if anyone had any makes models etc to praise or slag off, or after sales service etc etc. :confused:

Sponsored Links
What size? Small or large van? As you well know I'm not a driver at present, but I have a very good friend who's an interior designer / project manager, and tends to lug around a huge variety of different materials but in small-ish quantities. He has a Peugeot Expert, which he bought brand new on a 1999 S-plate, and still swears by today - no problems or issues whatsover. It's the 1.9 Diesel engine, the same one used in most diesel Peugeot and Citroen cars at the time, and in my opinion almost indestructible. It depends if that's the size of van you're looking for - if you need something bigger, I'm afraid I have no idea what to recommend!

thanks ninebob, i used to drive the xperts in my old days, and i never much liked them much. Im after more of short wheel base van like a transit etc, but theres just too many to chose from!

I suppose it comes down to personal choice and good/bad experiences with a particular van.

I have never owned a van but my neighbour used to be a dealer - and he couldn't see past transits - cheap parts, reliable and easy to service. Also, they were usually VERY easy to sell (although this won't appy to you if you are leasing)

Good luck :p

Sponsored Links
If you're going for new and service them regularly and not thrash them they're all pretty good. Sprinters and trannies will clock up huge mileages no problem. Really you have to try them all out to see which you prefer as regards driving position comfort etc. I remember david (of david and julie) criticising the Renault, but I've never driven one. You should search general cars forum, there's a few opinions there. The fiat Doblo has been criticised recently. I picked up a real bargain 98 Peugeot Boxer 1.9 non turbo, same engine as ninebob mentioned a year or so ago and I really rate it, much higher than I thought I would. It's a bit underpowered when loaded up but that doesn't bother me. You get a great view of the road in them, higher than a transit. All down to personal preference really.

think LDV or ford stay away from johny foreigners motors

vote with your cash SUPPORT THE UK :cool:

If it was that Sinclair 3 wheeler I bet your gutted now!!! Thet are worth more now than when they were invented!!! :oops:

A 'proper job' .... This is the 'twin' sporty version... double crapper.

horse_and_cart.jpg

;)

LDV

aha ....lol

my lads drive those vans , great they are an superb workhorses

Gary_M said:
I suppose it comes down to personal choice and good/bad experiences with a particular van.

I have never owned a van but my neighbour used to be a dealer - and he couldn't see past transits - cheap parts, reliable and easy to service. Also, they were usually VERY easy to sell (although this won't appy to you if you are leasing)

Good luck :p

Actually Gary it may apply even more. The ammount they charge is directly related to what the van cost and its estimated residual value.

I would say the best would be either Transit or Sprinter. They are both heavily discounted too fleet buyers, at the same time their reliability and longevity makes them the preferred option secondhand.

Cheap to buy and good to sell makes either of them the best choice overall. Personally I would say Tranny first(for comfort) then the Mercedes.

Depreciation is probably the biggest cost yet many people fail to realise this.

or buy an ldv outright second hand one

they lose so much after 2 years then it stablises

the good thing about them is there running gear is all ford

unless you buy a MAXUS then the engine is an vm sweet motor but italian

im the bloke who bought the three wheeler, with the betamax video, laser disc and black and white tv installed, the day before the four wheel,vhs,cd colour one came out!

ROFL!!
Seriously though, I bought an 04 Renault Trafic new, its now 2 years old, no probs whatsoever. Its like driving a car, comfortable, air con, elec everything.
Its really fast, leaves transits etc, standing, and it does around 900 miles on a full tank if your motorway driving. Its 1st service is 18000 miles, which is a long interval for services. The Vauxhall equivalent is dearer to buy, and I been told its got Renault parts, Identical bar for the name. Renault, Vauxhall and Nissan, same van, but I would choose the Renault :cool:

Depreciation is probably the biggest cost yet many people fail to realise this

thats why im going down the contract hire route. No capital outlay, most tax efficent way of getting a new van. No road tax to buy, fully covered by warranty and no depreciation to worry about.

Thermo, the main issue with contract hire can be the agreed mileage.

As long as you stay with the agreed terms all is fine, but some companies charge hefty premiums for additional mileage. This is because high mileages effects residuals and hence this(quite rightly) effects their cost calculations. ;)

most of my work is local and so far ive never done above 10000 miles so it shouldnt be a problem predicting it, but thanks for the advice

Sponsored Links
Back