Drive advise with slate chippings

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I was thinking about putting down blue slate chipping on my drive 40mm. The drive is 102 sqm. The guy next door had a chap round to quote for block paving so I said you may as well quote me, anyway the price was way out of my budget so I am back to gravel or slate chipping. He advised not to put slate down as it will turn to dust within 12 months as slate is quite brittle.
Can anyone advise on the best product to put down? Would a smaller slate chipping of 20mm be better? I'm not to keen on standard gravel and want something a bit different.
The current Tarmac drive is flat so no issues about gravel slipping away etc.

Sponsored Links
i used slate chippings on a path that gets heavy use and it turned into dust and now its mud.

if slate isnt the answer, whats the best loose aggregate to put down?
thanks

Sponsored Links
i wouldn't use slate it will crush to nothing. The problem is even if it is flat the gravel will still go all over the place if its loose. Iam doing my drive 60m2 in gravel but iam using plastic rienforcement which comes in squares that fit together it is fitted on top of sharp sand then you fill it with gravel. If you don't hold the gravel in place it will go everywhere, once you have fitted the plastic you can use any gravel you want it will stay in place and look fantastic. The product is called hebden 40 made from recycled plastic and it will be much cheaper than block paving i think its about £600 for 56m2 and you could do it yourself !!!Google it, i think they sell it on ebay as well

good luck

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back