Driveway and Dropped Kerb

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am waiting for a quote form the council for my kerb to be dropped. I then plan on getting my driveway done (Block Paving or Concrete Print)

Just wondering should I get the driveway done first? Or after the kerb has been dropped. Council website says, not to get driveway done until the kerb has been dropped.

Spoke to a company for a quote for the driveway and the guy was saying, to get the driveway done first. Because the freshly done kerb (tarmac) might get press or damaged, as they will be using digger (Lorries) etc. Is that true or was it just to make me feel rushed to get the job done?

What do you guys think from your experiences? Which one should be done first?

Sponsored Links
Some LA don't do the dropped kerb themselves, just give permission for it to be done by one of their approved contractors. This might be the case with your LA. Have you checked, 'cos you might be waiting for something that isn't coming.

By approaching an approved contractor direct, they might seek the necessary approval on your behalf.

RedHerring2";p="1743866 said:
Some LA don't do the dropped kerb themselves, just give permission for it to be done by one of their approved contractors. This might be the case with your LA. Have you checked, 'cos you might be waiting for something that isn't coming.

No, my council does do the work. They have been to measure the kerb also. Just sitting on their back side now for 2 weeks to post a letter.

These councils need a kick up their back side.

When I applied for planning permission for the dropped kerb, got a call from the planning officer saying we will get the permission. Then it took them another two weeks to actually give the permission. Why can’t they get on with what they need to do? No wonder there is always a back log whenever any government department is concerned.

Dear Sall, both are right in a way. The council will say that for any machinery to cross the public foot path (pavement) they will have to go across a dropped kerb as it has been strengthen. The builder is right also as when we had our drive done, after the kerb was dropped. The grab lorry man did 'mark' the newly laid tarmac.

So really it should be kerb dropped by council then builder does the drive .....TAKING CARE.!!!!

Andy

Sponsored Links
SALL2009... Is your LA Birmingham? If so, don't hold your breath.

We waited over 2 weeks for the quote, which we accepted, and we were told 6-8 weeks for the work to be completed. End of week 8 I called them for an update, they said they have only just sent the instruction to the contractor so give it a few days and ring them to request timescale. It was a week before I rang the contractor, they had no knowledge of the job at all. They estimate 28 days to completion from receipt of instruction.

The council apparently has the highest number of dropped kerb applications they've ever received, so are talking *******s until they can shift some of the backlog. Why it's such a problem to hand off an order to a contractor I don't know. Took every penny on day 1 of course.

SALL2009... Is your LA Birmingham? If so, don't hold your breath.

We waited over 2 weeks for the quote, which we accepted, and we were told 6-8 weeks for the work to be completed. End of week 8 I called them for an update, they said they have only just sent the instruction to the contractor so give it a few days and ring them to request timescale. It was a week before I rang the contractor, they had no knowledge of the job at all. They estimate 28 days to completion from receipt of instruction.

The council apparently has the highest number of dropped kerb applications they've ever received, so are talking **** until they can shift some of the backlog. Why it's such a problem to hand off an order to a contractor I don't know. Took every penny on day 1 of course.

Yeah it is Birmingham LA.

Thanks for the information.

I phone them yesterday and was told, they have the measurements and they will post the quote today. Which means, I might get the quote by the end of next week. Once I get that, I will go with one of their approved contractors. They are meant to be bit cheaper anyway.

You should get the quote pretty quickly, they're good and fast at taking money remember.

I'm not sure how it works with the approved contractors. You still have to pay the council fees and you don't get your quotation fee refunded if you use anyone other than the council. So a contractor will need to be much cheaper to make a difference. However, a contractor is doing ours anyway, not council employees, or more correctly Amey, who now have the highways contract for the council which may or may not include dropped kerbs but I was told it did. I assume the contractors have work enough from the council, at their rate, so don't bother making direct quotes cheaper, unless the council pays them very little, which is doubtful.

Do let me know how you get on if you go down the approved contractor route.

You should get the quote pretty quickly, they're good and fast at taking money remember.

I'm not sure how it works with the approved contractors. You still have to pay the council fees and you don't get your quotation fee refunded if you use anyone other than the council. So a contractor will need to be much cheaper to make a difference. However, a contractor is doing ours anyway, not council employees, or more correctly Amey, who now have the highways contract for the council which may or may not include dropped kerbs but I was told it did. I assume the contractors have work enough from the council, at their rate, so don't bother making direct quotes cheaper, unless the council pays them very little, which is doubtful.

I'm just waiting for the last and cheapest (been told over the phone) quote from an approved contractor to turn up. It’s £230 cheaper than the original quote.

I would have to pay the quoted amount to the council and then the council will instruct the contractor I have chosen. I hope the council can pull their finger out and pass the file on quick.

Ask if they'll be good enough to fax it over straight away. Mine got 'lost' somewhere between Dropped Kerbs Dept. and the mailing room!

The Council bods have to keep their in-tray full to show how busy they are and why their job shouldn't be the one that is cut.

I'm just waiting for the last and cheapest (been told over the phone) quote from an approved contractor to turn up. It’s £230 cheaper than the original quote.

I would have to pay the quoted amount to the council and then the council will instruct the contractor I have chosen. I hope the council can pull their finger out and pass the file on quick.

AFAIK 'RW Services' in Sutton Coldfield do a lot of drop kerbs for the council, may be worth getting a quote from them.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back