New drop kerb and new raised driveway can I complete separately for approval?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Many driveway installers, won't build a raised driveway for me so I was wondering, (as it's hard to get decent builders right now) is it possible to get the drop kerb done first then get it approved?

OR does the raised driveway itself need to be installed at the same time as the drop kerb so the inspector from Highways can view both elements?

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Can you pay your local council to do it?

Blup

Get the dropped kerb done first- that way you'll find out if highways object to it before shelling out on your driveway. Council will do the work on the kerb if you pay them, they'll have a list of authorised contractors you can use instead if you prefer.
EDIT Highways won't give a toss what you use for your driveway, they are mainly interested in underground services and sightline splays. Your new driveway may attract attention if it doesn't drain to your property (either permeable surface or piped to soakaway)

Sponsored Links
What's a raised driveway?

The sorry perhaps not clear my front garden is lower than the surrounding pavement so will have to build up to raise the finished driveway to pavement level.

they are mainly interested in underground services and sightline splays. Your new driveway may attract attention if it doesn't drain to your property (either permeable surface or piped to soakaway)

Thanks for your thoughts, yes will be permeable.

My local council doesn't seem to offer drop kerbs, from what I can see, would they likely be cheaper than contractors?

But wouldn't the sightline splays form part of the work not covered by the drop kerb? Might the inspectors want me to modify my existing albeit low (under 1 meter heigh) garden boundary wall to ensure any future hedge for example doesn't block my view up and down the road?

Thanks for your thoughts, yes will be permeable.

My local council doesn't seem to offer drop kerbs, from what I can see, would they likely be cheaper than contractors?

But wouldn't the sightline splays form part of the work not covered by the drop kerb? Might the inspectors want me to modify my existing albeit low (under 1 meter heigh) garden boundary wall to ensure any future hedge for example doesn't block my view up and down the road?
Do you mean the council don't allow dropped kerbs or they don't offer an installation service? Council will be more expensive than contractor (usually) but you get complete insulation from any errors or damage to underground services that the council lot do- in theory the contractors will have liability cover, in practise contractors go bust all the time.
Certainly up here the inspectors look at what is extant rather than trying to predict the future. If the pavement is a standard width your boundary fence won't matter much unless you're emerging onto a fast (>40mph) road.
EDIT Highways will come and recce the job before approving, if they want changes to your fence they'll tell you and wait til you've done them before approving the drop.

The sorry perhaps not clear my front garden is lower than the surrounding pavement so will have to build up to raise the finished driveway to pavement level.
Yes, but you mentioned needing permission for this driveway and I wondered why.

Yes, but you mentioned needing permission for this driveway and I wondered why.

In the guidance notes Highways ask to see the opinion from planning that what I propose doesn't require planning consent, there is a small fee for this opinion.

Do you mean the council don't allow dropped kerbs or they don't offer an installation service? Council will be more expensive than contractor (usually) but you get complete insulation from any errors or damage to underground services that the council lot do- in theory the contractors will have liability cover, in practise contractors go bust all the time.
Certainly up here the inspectors look at what is extant rather than trying to predict the future. If the pavement is a standard width your boundary fence won't matter much unless you're emerging onto a fast (>40mph) road.
EDIT Highways will come and recce the job before approving, if they want changes to your fence they'll tell you and wait til you've done them before approving the drop.

I don't think they offer it, can't see this anywhere on the website, but I guess it may form part of the application which seems to be an online form you have to fill in step by step.

There is nothing currently blocking the view (no fence just a small wall) we just plan to let the small hedge currently in place grow.

The pavement is 180cm to 195cm wide and we are in a cul de sac.

In the guidance notes Highways ask to see the opinion from planning that what I propose doesn't require planning consent, there is a small fee for this opinion.
Refer them to the PD rules.
The whole concept of permitted development is to remove bureaucracy and costs

There is a word, which escapes me, for an organisation requiring fees solely for the purpose of generating income for itself, and as such is something the Local Government Ombudsman would be interested in.

I had my kerb dropped before I built my drive. As long as you can show the council you 5m depth in the garden so a car can go on safely, they won't care beyond that

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back