Dropped kerbs and driveways

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

Couple of questions:

1. kerbs
Do you need planning/highway agency approval to extend a dropped kerb?
As you can see this one dosent line up with the drive and has always been this way apparently.

2. Driveway
I believe you need building regs to create a new hard standing area due to the need to drain onto your own property and not the road. I will be looking to alter the existing hard-standing area here, Would we need building regs in this case? Just looking to tidy it up with either tarmac or block paving.

Kerb_zpsb1bc19b3.jpg

Drive_zps5e95eeae.jpg

Sponsored Links
You would need planning permission for changing the dropped kerbs and these would need to be done by a council approved contractor, they may want to reinforce the new bit of pavement you want to drive across too even if you are already driving across it.

You can extend the hard standing provided you don't drain it into a drain or on to the pavement. Building Regs won't apply provided you don't make access to the house worse ie introduce steps where there weren't any to begin with.

Sponsored Links
You would need planning permission for changing the dropped kerbs

Dropped kerbs on the "highway" need "highway" approval, not planning.
But would the application in order to get highways approval not be in the form of a planning application, whereby highways comment?

Actually... it may depend (as above). The majority I have worked with have the county councils determine applications for dropped kerbs, etc... Some LA's have in-house highway officers. I think they're primarily involved in the minor applications/decisions whereas everything else (including dropped kerbs) are dealt with by county councils.

Would this actually be an application to move the dropped curb rather than an application for a dropped curb.

Its there - it just needs moving 3 curb stones to the left.
They might not even notice if it's done :)

Would this actually be an application to move the dropped curb rather than an application for a dropped curb.

Its there - it just needs moving 3 curb stones to the left.
They might not even notice if it's done :)

Thats what I was thinking lol
Ive got a mate who works for the local highways so will have a word with him when I can catch him.
Failing that I will probably just knock down some of that wall and add an angle to the driveway

If you want to carry out works to your driveway itself, then in order to avoid needing planning permission you will need to take into consideration the requirements of Class F of the GPDO (permitted development)

Using porous materials or providing drainage (within your property boundary) should be sufficient. But if you need to change levels significantly then you may require consent.

Note that if your property does not have permitted development rights then you WILL need to apply for planning permission for the driveway as well as ask consent for the dropped kerb works.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back