Drop kerbs and driveways rules

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

We've all received a letter from the council stating that they are relaying the footpaths locally and will be offering dropped kerb at a vastly reduced price of £760.

Now I've looked through the council website and it states hardstanding is a requirement, but is this before or after the dropped kerb has been done?

It also states the following:

• Name of the Contracting company with contact details;
  • Evidence of the Contractor’s public liability insurance (£5,000,000 minimum);
  • Copies of the contractor’s Supervisors and Operatives NRSWA Streetworks qualifications cards (required under national legislation to undertake works on the highway);
  • Copy of the Permit to Dig;
  • A copy of the NRSWA Permit ref number (with date of installation).
Now are these requirements for the company doing the dropped kerb, or is this for the actual hardstanding ie the actual driveway? As the council isn't clear

Sponsored Links
When councils offer these works as part of planned works, the normal criteria when applying for a dropped kerb do not apply.

Years ago, we came home from visiting the relatives one Saturday night to find most of the pavement down our street has a paint marked pavement. I said to Mrs Mottie "what's going on here?" to which she replied that we had had a letter asking if we wanted our dropped kerb extended for a couple of hundred quid - the whole street was being done on Monday. She said that as we had a lawn out front (we now have a drive), she threw it away. The next day I went out and bought a tin of the same colour paint and made my own markings. On Monday the contractors arrived and I got a new extended drive for the price of a can of paint. :mrgreen:

I think all that dribble is for if you engage your own contractor to create your dropped kerb, certainly looks like the stuff I received when getting approval for one.

Sponsored Links
I had my kerb dropped by an approved contractor and signed off by the council before I laid the drive, so they should be happy to do it without you already having a drive ready

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back