Planning for dropped Kerb

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a property on a classified B road; I want to apply for Planning permission to drop the kerb so I can build a drive and park on the property. Should I simply complete the planning application form and sent it to the council or should I use a planning consultancy company? Are there any documents that need to be prepared?

There are other properties on the road with dropped kerbs and the kerb has been dropped for a neighbour in the past. One thing that concerns me is that the footpath is at a steep-ish slope from the road.

Does any one know, how are dropped kerb applications are assessed?

Sponsored Links
You should get a cross-over agreement with the HA as well as planning for the hard standing.. or least used to be the process about 5yrs back.. may have changed..

Everything you ever wanted to know is available from this link: http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/HomeAnd...StreetsParkingCleaningAndLighting/DG_10026223 Trust me it all there!

Your local authority website will also likely have a page or two devoted to this kind of thing which will lead you through eg http://www.woking.gov.uk/planning/service/applications/kerbs

Alternatively phone your local planning department, arrange a meeting with a numpty planning officer and they will tell you exactly what you need to do/what the process is.

Under which Local Authority is your property?

Property comes under Birmingham City Council.

Thanks I will read through the link.

Static: As far as I understand. Normally homeowners need to apply to Highway Authority for the dropped kerb, they give a quote and do the physical work. But if the property is on classified road, then Planning permission is also needed.

Sponsored Links
We may not be able to construct the dropped kerb if:

- Your property is on a bend or at a road junction, or if your property is close to traffic signals

- There is a steep slope between your garden and the road

This is the bit that concerns me. There is no indication what is classed as a steep slope. So I'm guessing it depends on what type of a day the planner is having.

So am I right in assuming it’s a matter of filling in the form? A planning consultant couldn't do it any different?

Whilst it will be submitted to the Planning Department, it will also be examined by the Highways department. Highways will examine to application and its acceptance will be determined by standards that your local authority have in place and must adhere to. Or at least that's the theory. Site lines and the driveway within the boundary will also come into play ie whether you can turn round and whether when you drive out you can see down the road without wiping out another car etc. They will also look at existing parking issues in your area.

Apart from the form an application will involve getting a location plan and site plans showing existing and proposed showing the boundary, house outline, driveway etc. You may also have to provide details of how you intend to drain the driveway if its hard ie block paviors etc.

You can produce these yourself or employ someone to do it, it depends on your confidence! If you get a technician to do this it should cost you in the region of £200-300. Depending on the area you live in a Design & Access Statement may need to be prepared costing a little bit more. You will pay an arm and a leg if pay a Planning Consultant to do it.

Whilst it will be submitted to the Planning Department, it will also be examined by the Highways department. Highways will examine to application and its acceptance will be determined by standards that your local authority have in place and must adhere to. Or at least that's the theory. Site lines and the driveway within the boundary will also come into play ie whether you can turn round and whether when you drive out you can see down the road without wiping out another car etc. They will also look at existing parking issues in your area.

Apart from the form an application will involve getting a location plan and site plans showing existing and proposed showing the boundary, house outline, driveway etc. You may also have to provide details of how you intend to drain the driveway if its hard ie block paviors etc.

You can produce these yourself or employ someone to do it, it depends on your confidence! If you get a technician to do this it should cost you in the region of £200-300. Depending on the area you live in a Design & Access Statement may need to be prepared costing a little bit more. You will pay an arm and a leg if pay a Planning Consultant to do it.

Thanks. I didn't realise all that was involved. I will contact some local companies for quotes.

Where do I find a planning technician? I've tried searching on the internet, but can't seem to get anywhere. What should I be searching for?
There are loads of architects around, but no results for planning technicians.

FMT is referring to an Architectural Technician, not a Planning Technician.

FMT also referred to the need in the preparation of a Design and Access Statement and it's there he refers to a Planning Consultant, but there's no need for a PC to prepare a D&AS as you can do this yourself providing you use the LA's guidance notes/documents in the preparation of such document.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back