Driveway dilemma... Please help!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am thinking about running a driveway down passed the side of the house, which would mean removing the old outbuildings that are connected to the house. I have no problem removing them, but the gap between the front corner of the house and perimeter wall is only about 7.5ft... I know I could easily get my car through, but is it really feasible (a good idea!) to run a driveway down passing a gap as narrow as that??

Any advice gratefully received.

For info... the space does widen up considerably passed that gap and I was looking to build a garage at the rear of the property... what does everyone think?

Also, is planning permission required for taking down the outbuildings and constructing a driveway?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
I am thinking about running a driveway down passed the side of the house, which would mean removing the old outbuildings that are connected to the house. I have no problem removing them, but the gap between the front corner of the house and perimeter wall is only about 7.5ft... I know I could easily get my car through, but is it really feasible (a good idea!) to run a driveway down passing a gap as narrow as that??

Any advice gratefully received.

For info... the space does widen up considerably passed that gap and I was looking to build a garage at the rear of the property... what does everyone think?

Also, is planning permission required for taking down the outbuildings and constructing a driveway?

Thanks

Its your choice Robinson - you will be using the space - if it suits you, it will do.

Yeah I s'pose!! I think I'll just go for it anyway... we have a public pathway way running along the side of the perimeter wall, so I don't think anybody would mind or notice if I accidentally-on purpose encroached the pathway by 6 inches or so at the narrowest point!! :eek:

Yeah I s'pose!! I think I'll just go for it anyway... we have a public pathway way running along the side of the perimeter wall, so I don't think anybody would mind or notice if I accidentally-on purpose encroached the pathway by 6 inches or so at the narrowest point!! :eek:
Don't you believe it, there people out there only too willing to dob you in.

Wotan

Sponsored Links
If you want advice on pruning roses, post the gardening forum. If you want advice on building/planning regs, posting the appropriate forum; Gardening Forum probably doesn’t meet the criteria ;)

There are regulations governing how you construct a driveway that will drain onto the highway; if you get it wrong you will contravene Planning Regs; see here;
http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/permission/commonprojects/pavingfrontgarden/

Also be warned :!: pinch part of a public footpath at your peril & don’t think no one will notice, there are those that "walk" & check footpaths at least once a year. I’ve had two properties alongside public footpaths & my current has 160m alongside my property, I don’t know the precise environment where you live but get it wrong & you won’t believe the grief it can cause you; the “hiking” brigade really take this sort of stuff seriously ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back