Driveway Gates

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, i'm a bit of DIY novice, so would appreciate some advice. I want to make some wooden driveway gates, the gap is 14ft 8inc so each gate would be 7ft 4inc. They would be on 3ft posts and i was thinking of attaching 24inc hook and band hinges to them, two hinges per gate. The big question is will that work out okay, and will the hinges hold the weight of the gate so that it open and closes okay???

Sponsored Links
Thats one hell of an ambitious project for a DIY novice....!
You'll need to ensure that any tenons are wedged and the gate is well braced to take its own weight. The crooks and bands are a little light in my opinion and go for larger ones if you can get them - bolted on, of course. If you can get adjustable crooks it will help with adjustments when the gates are done.
The posts will need to be of a suitably heavy section and well set into the ground.
Good luck with your project!
John :)

the hinges might but the posts might not unless the gates had a jockey wheel.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back