how to 'infill' metal driveway gate

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I currently have a metal gate at driveway, and am looking to make it looks like the below ' metal frame with wood infill gate' for more privacy and better look.
aberdeen-estate-gate-10542-p.png

Was thinking some timbers but not sure if the gate hinge will support the added weight ( the gates are automated swing gate), so maybe some composite/PVC panels? and how should I attached the panel to the metal gate?

Any recommendations of the best way and materials to do the job? Many thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I would have thought it unlikely to get any helpful suggestions without some pictures and dimensions of you gates?
litl

I would have thought it unlikely to get any helpful suggestions without some pictures and dimensions of you gates?
litl
Thanks, should have provided the info at first place. The doors are approx 1.55x1.9m (WxH) for each, the lower point is about 1.2m.

Attachments

• iOS Image - 3127464302.jpg
    iOS Image - 3127464302.jpg
    362.5 KB · Views: 552
Could you use a woodgrain upvc product?

Something akin to shiplap hardwood might also be possible, but vertical.
My conservatory is clad with hardwood but it is actually quite thin

Sponsored Links
uPVC is going to look nasty very quickly. It will get scuffed, split, warped and stained

uPVC is going to look nasty very quickly. It will get scuffed, split, warped and stained

That's what I'm worrying, and if it's too thin it won't stand the wind if I only use screws to fix them onto the gate.
Was looking at the composite decking boards but that's 7.5kg per 1.8m board, way too heavy for the gates!

Could you use a woodgrain upvc product?

Something akin to shiplap hardwood might also be possible, but vertical.
My conservatory is clad with hardwood but it is actually quite thin

Will have a look at the fencing/decking wood boards at local B&Q see if I can find some thin hardwood boards.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back