Metal or wood gate for my driveway

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm thinking of getting a gate in place in my driveway for security and to make sure my son doesn't go out when he's playing outside. I can't decide whether I should go for wood or metal.
Here's what I want from the gate in this order:

1. Security and privacy
2. Long-lasting
3. Nothing too expensive, bought this house less than a year ago so money is still fairly tight.
4. Looks good

Here's the picture of the driveway:
driveway.jpg

Basically I'm thinking of getting a double gate and a single gate in place. I'll brick one of the single gate openings so would only have one gate for pedestrian access.
They'll be around 6ft high.
Please advise.
Thanks.

Sponsored Links
I've seen some gate companies selling metal framed gates with UPVC which has wood affect. They look good.
How durable are those and how expensive are they?

Yes, PVC would be the way to go for almost zero maintenance.

If you go for steel, try and get galvanized, to help it last. Some are hot dipped galvanized and then powder-coated to a finished colour, Not a cheap process.

Timber will need more upkeep as it get older, but looks well and relatively inexpensive.

I was faced with a similar issue. I needed a gate for the entrance to my back garden and asked for assistance on this forum. The advice I got was out of wood and metal go metal but speak to a local blacksmith as you will be surprised at how much this costs.

My blacksmith came out measured up, built and hung my gate at the same price it would have cost me to hang posts either side and install a small gate from wickes.

I will be looking to use my blacksmith again next year for driveway gates. Just another suggestion for you to consider

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your informative responses.
I'm thinking of going for a metal framed gate with PVC sheets which give the effect of wood.
I'm hoping this won't be too expensive and would last for quite some time?

Anyone got any experience with metal framed PVC gates? If so pleas let me know how good they're as far as longevity is concerned and how do they fare on the costs side? Thanks

Personally I i wanted something that looks like wood, i would use wood. its cheap, durable, repairable, long lasting, and looks nice.

I you have it made from tanalised timber, and then give it a coat of generic shed/fence paint once a year it will look great and last as long as uPVC while looking better. Painting it will take not more time that you would have to spend cleaning uPVC to keep that in good condition.

Have a look at comercially sold gates, but also get a price for a local handyman to make one. Else if your good with your hands, i've just built and hung my own 12*6ft gate. Cost £50 for the wood for the gate and about the same for the post/hindges and the gravel/cement to set it in.

Daniel

I'd go with a rolling gate(s). A 8x12 gate made of anything substantial will weigh a lot, and it'll have a LOT of momentum. It will also be hard to handle if the wind is blowing much, which isn't unusual for a place close to the shore.

CCWKen is right in suggesting a block wall without reinforcement will not fare well. The reinforcement should extend well below ground, too. Also think about pouring concrete arcs for the rollers if you decide to go that way.

I helped build a house close to the ocean once. It was amazing (and really depressing) to see how quickly things corroded in that environment.

Wouldnt really call Berkshire coastal? No other mention of location that I can see.

Even if only 6ft high (as per the OP) it is a wide opening to have a single gate but not implausable with a good gatepost. If its a solid/panelled gate it might get a bit carried away with itself in strong winds but assuming the location isnt overly exposed should be ok, and easier than trying to re-engineer the sloping drive to give a opening you could put a sliding gate on.

Daniel

Thanks for your replies guys.
I'm miles away from coastal so rusting won't be a big issue.
There's no way I can fit a single gate. It'll have to be 2 gates. Sliding isn't an option either because I haven't got enough space on both sides. As I've got those brick pillar already in place, I'm thinking of filling them up with concrete and then attaching gates with those rather than getting posts fitted. Is that a good idea?
Ok, I'm still divided about what material to use for the gates. I usually have my doubts about tradesman who'll do the work because their advice usually trends towards where they can make more profit. :confused:
Hence I'm asking you gentlemen. :)

Thanks for your replies guys.
I'm miles away from coastal so rusting won't be a big issue.
There's no way I can fit a single gate. It'll have to be 2 gates. Sliding isn't an option either because I haven't got enough space on both sides. As I've got those brick pillar already in place, I'm thinking of filling them up with concrete and then attaching gates with those rather than getting posts fitted. Is that a good idea?
Ok, I'm still divided about what material to use for the gates. I usually have my doubts about tradesman who'll do the work because their advice usually trends towards where they can make more profit. :confused:
Hence I'm asking you gentlemen. :)
There are always good tradesmen and bad trademen. If you dont have any in mind or have any recomentations you could could proberbly do worse than find some nice looking gates locally and ask the owners who fitted/supplied them! Your complementing there gate, and getting a review of the tradesman, as well as an opertuntity to see what they look like after a year or two!

Pair of gates reduces the load on the post by a factor of four compaired to a single gate twice the lenght, but bricks are still structurally awfull in anything other than compression. If i was doing the job from scratch I would proberbly install a steel post, dug 3/4ft into the ground, with hinges welded on the side, and brick round it for decoration only. But given you already have 1.5 posts you could proberbly do worse than filling them with poured concrete i guess. Its still not going to be ancored to the ground very well but maybe well enough. Hinges could either be concreted in prior to the pour, or bolted into the concrete with long raw bolts or epoxy bolts.

Dont know other peoples thoughts on that?

Daniel

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back