How To Keep Metal Gate Open Against A Brick Wall

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
The wind usually blows down the side of the house from the back to the front, so it wouldn't take too much to blow the gate off a magnet. The gate has already broken once (composite panels popped out). I'd rather have something that physically "clips" it to the wall.
I'm pretty sure a gate latch will work, securing the bolt part of the lock in the latch. I will have to mount the latch on a piece of wood, crossing my fingers that will do the trick. The bolt is 2.5cm long and 17mm thick, hopefully not too thick.

Attachments

• IMG_20240228_120247.jpg
    IMG_20240228_120247.jpg
    122.2 KB · Views: 18
Whilst I'd agree a magnet could be very effective here, there's also a bit or trial and error necessary to procure a magnet of just the right strength.

While I know some magnets can be really powerful, I'd rather not risk it as this gate blocks entry to the back garden and last time it blew shut in the wind several panels popped out of the gate and it was a royal PITA to refit them (part of one shattered).

Reactions: SFK
You can get floor mounted retractable door holders. You push them down and they pop back up to hold the door open.

Not cheap though and I don't know if they are suitable for exterior use.

The wind usually blows down the side of the house from the back to the front, so it wouldn't take too much to blow the gate off a magnet. The gate has already broken once (composite panels popped out). I'd rather have something that physically "clips" it to the wall.
I'm pretty sure a gate latch will work, securing the bolt part of the lock in the latch. I will have to mount the latch on a piece of wood, crossing my fingers that will do the trick. The bolt is 2.5cm long and 17mm thick, hopefully not too thick.

Why not just use a deeper bit of timber, screw it to the wall and then drill a 20mm hole in to the edge of the timber to receive the lock bolt?

and a feeble 116Kg magnet...

There was one site that used to sell a seriously dangerous magnet, warned you to always plan your route before moving it, and to use the box provided to make it feasible to pull it off a steel surface.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back