Garden Gate Build

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to build a garden gate for a double gate opening.
The gate I already have is a 1800x915 feather edge board gate that is strong as hell and I want to reuse.
The said opening is 2450mm from wall to wall, so with 2 100mm on the ends and a gate of 915mm that means I need to build a gate of 1335mm wide.
What I'm asking is what size or type of timber should be used. I have some C16 45x70 would that be strong enough or should I use something else.
I wish to put 100mm feather edge board on the top and use 3 450mm hinges. I intend to put the posts in deep holes with concreate and fix the posts to the walls with 10x160mm frame fixings

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Use pressure treated timber if you want it to last. Why not copy the timber dimensions on the existing gate?

I've bought wickes treated kiln dried C16 timber 45x70mm & 45x95mm lengths.
My existing gate, that I want to fabricate a new larger one to match.
IMG_0408.JPG
IMG_0407.JPG

Sponsored Links
Not alot of responce, maybe i sould of posted in carpentry.
How should I join the timbers, mortice/tenon or 6 x 150mm single thread screws. Joined like a stud frame.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back