Making a gate. How big can I sensibly go?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can I hange a 10-12ft woodern gate of a single post?

I've removed a section of fence, about 6ft from the side of the garden and around 12ft back to my garage to give access, which gives around 13-14ft digaonally that I want to join up with a gate/gates.

Ideally from the point of the gate it would be two gates equally spilt, btu from a conveniance of use point of view it would be much more usfull if one gate was around 3ft to be used when you just want to get out and the other the remaining 10-11ft. This would then also allow the 3ft gate to be hung off the garage without a post.

The post on the other (fence) side would then have the other larger gate hanging off it.
For the gate I plan to make up a frame rom 3*2 or simular and cover with feather edge or feather edge fence pannels to a height of around 6ft6, with a ply or simular kickboard, to replicate the fence as best I can and hence make it less obviously to the passing opertunist what might be behind.
If i used a 9ft 175mm post sunk into the ground 3ft does this seem about reasonable? Just aware that even if i aim to keep it light its going to end up being a fairly substatial gate by the time its done. I dont mind having a wheel/prop to support the weight of the gate when close but the ground is not leval enough for it to take the weight while being opened.

Daniel

Sponsored Links
That would work if,

1, it is Steel
2, the ground is fairly solid.

If not then make a wider base and use more concrete.

That would work if,
1, it is Steel
2, the ground is fairly solid.
Im ofcause not sure what the ground hardness is like until I start digging it, but its in the middle of a 40's council development so its not fresh ground. There is also conreate hard standing on the area the gate will be letting out onto, so at surface leval, if I concreated the post, this would be able to tie into (or stleast lean on) the edge of the pad leaving on the bottom, three foot down, with the abilty to creep. I dont mind concreting it but dont want to have the hire a mixed and make up a ton of the stuff to pour in if i can help it. My plan there was a few bags of well tampted mixed crusher-run lime with a concreate cap at the top.

Presumably point 1 in suggesting a steal post rather than a steel gate? Is this for strenght, stiffness, durability against rot? Obviously im sure it will work well too but im slightly supprised a steel post in been suggested over a large woodern one, I wasnt expecting the post to be the limiting factor, mot the abilty to hold it. What sort of spec steel post would you suggest for the predicted weight?

Daniel

I use a 3mm wall post for this type of work. It allows for some decent welds for the hinges and stability.

The steel post for as you say. Obviously treat it with primer and a good coat before burying. A Galv one is the best, but more expensive.

Sponsored Links
I guess there no real reason not to use a steel post, the fence posts currently are concrete.

Any other thoughts on the task?

My plan is to just use some 3*2 and screw the frame of the gate together using big screws and some corner plates and the like with a diagonal. I would love to join it in properly with a mortice/tenon etc but I realy cant be bothered. Did look at buying a gate but as I already have left over timber an will be covering it with removed fence pannels anyway it seems a waste.

Daniel

Well hanging it off a concrete post should be fun to say the least.
Good luck with the gate, just brace it well.

Well hanging it off a concrete post should be fun to say the least.
Yes, clearly thats not an option.

Anyone know somewhere that could do a cost suitable gatepost at a cost effective price. Am based in Staffordshie but travel to Cheshire and north Manchester frequently.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back