Driveway- Help with Gravel + Concrete

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I was hoping someone would be able to help me with a driveway query I have?

I have a 12ft X 12ft front garden. On the left hand side is concrete, on the right, paving slabs laid directly onto soil. In the middle is a raised path leading to the front door. (made out of concrete)

I have been looking into ways of making the front garden look neat without spending a lot of money.

It looks like Gravel is going to be the cheapest route.
Now, I know from reading other posts that laying gravel directly onto the concrete is a big 'no no' as the gravel will slip when driven or stepped upon, but is there a way of me laying the gravel without having to dig up all of the concrete?
(Doing this would equal costs in hiring tools plus man power that I just do not have!)

Would it be possbile to put a layer of soil or sand down first for the gravel to grip to? Or should some sort of adhesive be laid?

I know its not the best method, but what I am looking for is a way to make it look decent at the cheapest price... It only needs to last a couple of years.

I would really really appreciate any advice.

Thanks.

Nicola

Sponsored Links
Hi Nicola,

Well as gravel is normally layed on well-compacted hardcore anyway. I can't see any reason why you shouldn't just spread it over the concrete.

I laid some over some untidy paving at our house with no problems.

You can always give it a "bit of a rake" from time to time if it does move :)

I disagree. It is a very bad slip hazard when spread thin. Compacted hardcore has enough give to recieve extreme point loading as is the case with gravel.

Sponsored Links
I have also tried it and have slipped, go spread it a bit thinner and try again.

Compacted sub-base is classed as a flexible surface ask any civils engineer.:cool:

Thanks for your replies! :D

Would applying a thing layer of soil to the surface be sufficient? Or even just breaking up the surface slightly?

I will be doing all of the work on my own you see, so the less physical exertion the better! :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back