Concrete mix for gravel driveway edging stones and road

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there, Had a look through a few topics in this area but couldn't find what I was after...

We're getting a driveway gravelled, and I'm looking at the options for a retainer as the drive slightly slopes away in to the road in the gateway. I've looked at various edging stones on there side and digging out a trench and cementing in some block paving then gravelling up to that. But I think I'm going to go for the B&Q carpet stones at the bottom of the driveway between the road and where the gravel will be - should look nice and be a lot quicker to lay!

I'm going to hack out a bit of the driveway to set this into (just a bit of the surface tarmac I'll remove as its crumbling away a bit anyway) but I wondered what the best mix of concrete would be to ensure this is solid for driving over and retaining the gravel? I would have used something like 3:1 Sharp sand to cement, but understand some kind of aggregate would add to the strength. Was hoping to smooth of a small ridge on the road side up to the start of the carpet stones for neatness and to help keep the carpet stones in place from lateral loading of car wheels, but any advice here would be great on concrete mix to achieve this and smooth finishing.

Obviously this is a driveway so need to be able to use asap - would 24-48 hours be long enough for the concrete to set if i do a fairly think mix?

Cheers

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back