40mm gravel for driveway suitable ??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A couple of years back we ripped up an old tarmac driveway which had disintegrated and are now ready to replace it with gravel.
The surface underneath (hardcore) is suitably compact having had numerous cars/lorries drive over it since.
We were looking at a 40mm Trent gravel as aesthetically this looks the best. Most sites I've come across however recommend 20mm or less as anything larger is difficult to walk on.
I've had a look at 20mm but am not overly keen on it.
Has anyone else had experience of or installed a gravel driveway with 40mm stone? Is it a pain in the ass to walk/drive on?

Sponsored Links
Would be for me, but so is 20mm in most cases. Limestone chippings are far more comfortable.

yes it is. my neighbour has some. I have leg injuries so not too agile, I have to creep across it.

Sponsored Links
personally i wouldnt recomend it. we recently put 40mm stone down on a garden. more like walking on the beach!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back