Spinning in drive gravel

JP_

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a part concrete drive, tarmac first with concrete to the side that we park on.

Got some 20mm gravel to cover the concrete. If i need to stop on drive on slow, wheels spin like crazy, throwing gravel everywhere.

It was ok when i drove straight on, but had another bag of gravel delivered to make it thicker and cover whole area.

Now wondering, of this is as good idea! Should i mix some smaller stones in rather than put more 20mm on?

The plan was to tarmac it all but my wife wanted it looking nice now, and no money to tarmac.

Only pic i have is after i washed my car on Sunday!

IMG_20200126_125345347_HDR.jpg

Sponsored Links
I have a part concrete drive, tarmac first with concrete to the side that we park on.

Got some 20mm gravel to cover the concrete. If i need to stop on drive on slow, wheels spin like crazy, throwing gravel everywhere.

It was ok when i drove straight on, but had another bag of gravel delivered to make it thicker and cover whole area.

Now wondering, of this is as good idea! Should i mix some smaller stones in rather than put more 20mm on?

The plan was to tarmac it all but my wife wanted it looking nice now, and no money to tarmac.

Only pic i have is after i washed my car on Sunday!

View attachment 182455

Of course it will be 1 inch gravel after tomorrow, but as it's bigger, it's better ;)

Sponsored Links
Get a less powerful car. Oh, wait.......:D Sorry, couldn’t resist!

It's a great little car! £30 tax, £200 insurance and about 40 miles to the gallon. :)

But yeah, something heavier might be useful.

Take it all off and put some gravel retaining mesh down.

Can this go on concrete? Will see what i can get. Better start warming up now....

Last edited:
Sorry, but gravel ontop of concrete is just a bad idea.
You can see it's already spilling out onto the tarmac

Yeah,fix it to the concrete.

What do i fix it with? Thinking maybe getting 10 to put in a row along the border with the tarmac. I think the problem is that first bit getting on. I just straight on ok, it's only if i need to stop or slow down...

Wheni linkedtogether and filled they wont move, will they?

What do i fix it with? Thinking maybe getting 10 to put in a row along the border with the tarmac. I think the problem is that first bit getting on. I just straight on ok, it's only if i need to stop or slow down...

Wheni linkedtogether and filled they wont move, will they?

Anchor bolts and washers, bit OTT I'll give you.

Have you priced up tarmac? Or even that stuff they paint the roads with?

I
]
And soon the gravel will reach the main road........

We had gravel before, but it was the wrong sort - I think too soft, it crushed and created dust.

That was no problem at all. Stayed put, good grip etc.

This stuff has too many rounded pebbles - should all be angular! It was cheap though .....

One day I'll have tarmac all over. One day ...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back