entrance to sloping gravel drive.... cold lay tarmac/brick

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We're about to tackle the last task of our house renovation... the drive. My questions are at the end but to set the scene...

Our drive is in a slight slope down to the pavement and road - probably a 50cm drop from the garage floor to the pavement over 8 metres.

We have already edged the drive with railway sleepers to hold the gravel in place but are now considering the best way to stop the gravel (20mm) from migrating onto the road.

We've settled on creating aslight ramp by the road finished with a line of bricks to hold the gravel in. The neatest way to achieve this will be to set the line of bricks on a concrete base and then run new tarmac from the existing tarmac pavement up to the line of bricks creating a little ramp before the gravel starts (about 20m raise over 50cm).

My questions are...

1. Should I reinforce the concrete footing under the bricks to ensure that they can withstand cars passing over them?
2. Can I use cold lay tarmac to join the pavement to the bricks? If so are there any tips to help it look nice and neat?

thanks in advance?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back