DIY cold tarmac or call the council?

It's great stuff and if done properly will be a good lasting job. Depth and surface cleaning are important, and naturally compacting it - but a whacker is overkill.

It takes an age to set hard though - several months in the summertime, but in winter should be much quicker. Form a slightly raised surface and cover with some battens if driving over.

Sponsored Links
Should have said, for this job the whacker I used was manual type - 10x10cm heavy metal plate on a pole.
....but my arms were wishing I had done the Tarmac at the same time that I had hired the petrol wacker to do the patio. :<

Last edited:
I used it on the pavement when I did my dad's drive a couple of years back for exactly the same reason.
NO! not the wagon just uneven.
I used a tamper and a wet scrap of timber to level it.
I also primed the existing tarmac with the blow torch first.

Sponsored Links
Just report it to the highways department, say nothing about your or the cement wagons involvement in it - just report it as a dangerous footpath.
Get someone else to report it too.
good quality pictures of the wort bits will help

I tripped over some huge ruts in the pavement this morning, the house right where it happened has had an extension, I reckon the owner caused it.

If only he had slapped some cold tarmac in the rut jnstead of pondering what to do :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I think you can report the general state of the pavement to the council and see. If it's just knackered they might sort it out or at least get their crew to shovel proper tarmac in the hole.

I can't support lying to the council, that's a terrible way to behave. But I don't know they can fine you that someone else happened to drive on it.

Why didn't you complain to whoever supplied the lorry?

Well the whatever ton truck that brought my concrete last week didn’t sink the tarmac on my footpath, it cracked every slab on the drive but no effect on the tarmac.

Well the whatever ton truck that brought my concrete last week didn’t sink the tarmac on my footpath, it cracked every slab on the drive but no effect on the tarmac.
A fair point. The council agreed to tarmac a bit of our drive and it's had huge lorries on it, jcbs, etc with no problems as they did it properly.
Except the corner where it joins the road where they just laid tarmac on the ground. This was deeply rutted the first time something bigger than a van put a wheel on it

Might as well update- just told council the entrance was badly rutted. No issues they came and did it a couple of weeks later.

Cool. Did they do it all properly or patch the patches?

Why didn't you complain to whoever supplied the lorry?

Check the small print on the delivery note, most concrete, skip hire companies etc, have a wavier in the T's and C's, saying you order the vehicle to leave the road at your own risk.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back