Best way to tarmac this strip?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks,

I've got this strip of missing tarmac in front of a driveway. It got ripped up because there used to be a prefab concrete fence there which went under the tarmac.

Tried getting a few local tarmaccers to come but none are interested so I'm going to have to sort it myself I reckon.

Couple of questions as I've never done this before. Planning on using bags of cold lay.

• I'm thinking I need to cut it out to a straight/neat line first

• Does it need to be deep? In places it's only an inch or so before the old pavement

• Do I need a whacker plate or will I get away with the bottom of a sledge hammer?

• I read somewhere about warming the cold lay by putting it in a barrow and sprinkling a bit petrol on it (though I'm thinking about starting a fire underneath the barrow instead!)

• Obviously cars are going over this, is cold lay going to be up to it? Anything I need to do to make sure it works?

Cheers for any advice,
Rich

Attachments

• 20151211_123550_resized.jpg
    20151211_123550_resized.jpg
    125.5 KB · Views: 155
Sponsored Links
Cut a straight edge if you prefer, but either way, rake out all loose material, then compact the base with the back of your sledgehammer. Cold lay is just that, heating it might make it more pliable, but it will take longer to go off, and I'm not even sure heating it will actually do the material any good.

Alternatively, if you see a reinstatement gang working in the area, ask them what they'd charge to fill it in. Most will have some surplus material at the end of the end that would otherwise get dumped. Few £ in their pockets and everyone's happy. ;)

As Hugh says but DO NOT use anyone who approaches you - they will rob you and be off on their travels:whistle:

Cheers guys.

Reckon I need a whacker plate to get it looking good & well compacted?

Or is it practical to do it just with a hammer and maybe a bit of wood?

Sponsored Links
Wacker plate for appearance probably, but back of a shovel if you wanted to would probably suffice. Hammer is probably too small, and will end up with it looking rather uneven.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back