Removing gravel and Tarmacing drive

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

About a year ago I had half grass and half tarmac in my front garden.

The grass was a bit of a mess and so decided to extend the drive.

We dug out all of the grass and a couple of inch of mud, put membrane down and put 3 ton of gravel on top.

All was well for a few months and then it started to pour down with rain.

The car started to sink and has chewed bits of mud up.

I've looked into it and found out I should have put a compacted hardcore base down first :confused:

Now the plan is to tarmac the section where the gravel is currently.

The question is, can I pull the gravel away, dig out most of the mud, put the original gravel back down and use a vibrating roller on this to use as hardcore? Then get a tarmacing company in?

If I can use the gravel I've already bought it won't cost as much as I'm thinking...

This is the gravel I've got, cotswold buff...

cotsbuff.jpg

Thanks

Sponsored Links
You could try it but it won't compact together as good as hardcore. It'll probably turn to mush again complete with your new tar.

For light traffic on a driveway (no heavy vans etc) I'd dig out a minimum of 4-6 inches, compact it then lay the tar, ensuring a fall for rainwater to run away.

You could perhaps mix your existing chips with your new hardcore tho.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back