Base for gravel driveway

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to extend my gravel driveway to cover an area of about 15 sq meters. I will be driving cars over this so can anyone advise me if I should just lay this gravel on top of the mud or should I use hardcore/Type 1 base ?

And something I have always wondered - what is the difference between hardcore and type 1 or are they the same thing ?

Should I put a membrane between the base and the gravel to stop them mixing into each other through time as the drive way gets used ?

Any tips much appreciated :LOL:

Sponsored Links
think you should put hardcore down first

gravel onto dirt will sink in as soon as you drive on it.

if your existing gravel is good , dig a small bit up and see what they did

use type 1. type 1 is quarried stone that has been crushed down to a certain size. a load of it will include a mixture of stone from small grains up to the largest size. When it is laid and compacted the smaller particles will fill the voids between the larger ones and it will all bind together to give a very solid base. Hardcore is just large lumps of brick, concrete etc which will have unfilled voids between them.

Do NOT put a membrane over the top of the sub base and under the gravel

Thanks for these tips ;)

If I don't put a membrane in place, will the compacted type 1 not loosen up through time and start to mix with the gravel ?

Sponsored Links
no. it will get more and more compacted as time goes on with rain, foot and vehicular traffic.

4" at least. 6" if you can.

A good fabric, designed for the job, is a precaution UNDER the type 1, to help stop it mixing with the soil, though not every builder would do this. I have seen t'council build a path or road that way, and I do recall seeing summat about it in building guides some time ago.

a driveway fabric under the mot will stop "pumping" Thats where the subsoil underneath becomes waterlogged and the action of the traffic over it will undermine it and the driveway. It helps stop the mot getting drawn down into the subsoil. Not needed on well draining soil though.

6" of compacted mot is the best bet

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back