Gravel Driveway.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi some advice please,
been asked to re gravel driveway the original stone has compacted down but left a ridge of earth and grass in the middle, I have suggested that this be dug out, weed killer put down and levelled off and pea shingle laid on the top, the driveway has concrete ridge both sides to retain the gravel, but the person is concerned about it being pushed out on the road, although the road has a bit of a retaining ridge,
how liable is the shingle likely to be pushed off into the road ?
also what is the average coverage (one inch/ inch & half deep shingle) per tonne sacks
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Theres no point putting weedkiller (glyphosate) down after digging out - it only works by contact with foliage (well and injecting into a stem)

Don't know what stone is available in your area, round here you can get angular chipppings/gravel from a blasted quarry, this stays in place more and is easier to walk on than round gravel

Sponsored Links
Whatever gravel you use will be picked up in tyres when driving off the drive. It's a PITA but unavoidable. I'm lucky in that when I leave the gravel I travel over a concrete run in. This allows me to sweep the gravel back without it going out onto the pavement/road.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back