Gravel path

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm putting in a gravel path in my garden. I have dug a trench 100mm deep and the width I want and then framed the edge of the trench with wooded pegs and treated timber (gravel board).

I haven't done anything else yet but when it rains heavily, the end of the proposed path fills with water an takes quite a while to drain away. I'm concerned now that when I put the hardcore in and compact it, this will make it even worse.

Any tips to help this drainage. How about digging deeper where the water sits and backfilling with pea shingle prior to the hardcore then gravel.

Many Thanks

Mike

Sponsored Links
why are you putting hardcore in mike? weed supressant then your gravel on top would suffice! unless you have your own reasons of course.

I was going to put hardcore as thats what I have read in my DIY book. 2" hardcore compacted with a wacker or roller then 2" gravel. Is this wrong then? Should it be weed membrane straight on top of soil and then 4" gravel?

Also, will this act like a giant soak away to solve my water problem?

Many Thanks

Mike

membrane and 100mm of gravel mike, you shouldnt have any drainage problems at that.
i would only use hardcore if i was slabbing!

Sponsored Links
The only time I can see hardcore being used on a gravel path, is if you want to use solid gravel (gravel that is glued together with epoxy). Then you may need it for stability. But loose gravel on it's own. I totally agree with the other guys.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back