Droning noise when running hot water

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi all

my youngest has just moved into a new {to her} flat.

when you run the hot water in the kitchen after a few minutes you hear this droaning noise from the bathroom where the water tank is, it stops after a while. all taps to the tank are open

any idea what it is and how to stop it pls

Sponsored Links
What colour is the hot water cylinder?

Can you see a separate cold water tank?

How old is the plumbing?

The hot cylinder is a light green colour, well the insulation covering it is green. I can't see another tank. It was built in 2009

Sponsored Links
I shot a video but I can't post that here so here's a screenshot from the video.
Screenshot_20191026_154631_com.huawei.himovie.overseas.jpg

yes, it's a combination cylinder and the cold water cistern is there on the top. If you climb up and look into it (there should be a removable lid to keep dirt out) you will find a ball-cock or float valve of some kind in there. It will be a half-inch one, mounted using a large nut. Most likely a brass one like in an old fashioned WC cistern.

A replacement will probably swap straight in. You need a high-pressure, type 2.

It is possible to take them apart and fit a new cone and washer, but this takes longer than fitting new, and a new one is not expensive. If you feel like it, you can clean and service the old one, put it in a clear plastic bag, and put it back in the airing cupboard as a spare for next time, in ten or twenty years.

The colour of the insulating coating on the cylinder is what I'd call "yellow".

Later ones were light green, now light blue.

The installation you have will be very low pressure, so avoid flashy new taps, especially imported ones, and especially mixers with a ceramic cartridge and a single lever or joystick. You probably have traditional individual pillar taps on the bath at the moment, which will fill it in a reasonably short time. You can still buy new, modern taps of similar design, but in my limited experience, they are still smaller than old ones.

It will not give a satisfactory shower.

p.s.
the pipe facing you at the top in the incoming cold supply. I think I can see a white plastic nut and stem, which might be a lower-quality valve.

Last edited:
Thanks for the fast reply and diagnosis.

I'll get onto it and replace the ball cock valve when I'm there next week (it's 100miles away).

Is it safe to use for another week or so?

Thanks

no reason not to, it's just an annoying noise.

Gents

I replaced the water inlet valve and float but the noise is still there not as much but if you run a bath it's there.

Any ideas

Scaff

Is the noise still at the tank, or from a tap? Any restrictions on a partially closed isolation valve? Stopcock fully open?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back