Very loud noise when hot water is run

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, my problem is similar to others on here but not identical so I would like to describe exactly what happens. Hopefully someone can help.

I have just bought a flat (approx 5y old). There are no radiators, the hot water tank just supplies the taps. It is not a gas bolier, just a hot water tank heated by 2 immersion heaters.

When I run hot water, after 10 secs or so I hear a really loud noise. It sounds like a fog horn coming from somewhere near the tank but I can't identify exactly where.

I think it is related to the water re-filling the tank as it does not start immediately and continues for some time after I stop running the water.

I am not sure if this is related, but if i run the hot water for a long time (fill a bath), I get the loud noise and then the flow rate slows right down. It seems like it takes a few days to recover the normal flow rate.

Any help would be very much appreciated. Thanks

Sponsored Links
you need to get the ballvalve looked at.

Sound's like the problem could be the ball valve which feed's your CWS tank. If the sound is definatly coming from the cylinder, and seeing as you live in a flat i would presume the tank maybe a fortic. This means the tank which fill's your cylinder is built into the top with a lid on top. If this is the case, this is where you will find the ball valve, probably just need's a clean and a new rubber?

HTH Sam

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back