Dropped joist perhaps and cracks in room opposite to it

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
It seems like something like a joist has dropped slightly in my kitchen, mm not cm causing a double indentation in the ceiling and in the living room beside the kitchen I've got some thin cracks appearing now which may or not be cosmetic. They are not massive either but would run close in line to the joist (if this is it) in the kitchen beside the living room. Anyone had similar issues and am I freaking out it is a joist sagging?

Attachments

• Living Room.jpg
    Living Room.jpg
    202.3 KB · Views: 95
  • Roof Kitchen.jpg
    Roof Kitchen.jpg
    144 KB · Views: 105
Sponsored Links
Cant see any double indentation in pic 2 , the crack in pic 1 is presumably where the (plaster) boards meet and there has been movement especially if fitted recently.

Get a surveyor in if it remains a concern.

Blup

I've jammed slate in on the wall to jack up joist that moved when a person walked above, but no crack in coving means it hasn't dropped at wall contact point.
Looks like slight structural movement.
If you think it's bowed it's possible to jack up and fix timber to the side of timber to straighten.
Some joists are in two or more bits poorly fixed together

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back